Aaaaaargh - Help!!

bixy

After spending a whole morning wiring up a junction box and ripping my hands to pieces in the process, I wondered if there might be a better alternative to the dreaded choc bars. I'm sure I've seen a connector somewhere which just entails pushing the wire into the terminal. Any help greatly appreciated.

Patrick

There are quick-fit (push fit) connectors for various wire sizes. They take up much less room in a "boite de derivation", as well as being quicker.

http://www.carl-elec.com/electricte_generale/connexion/255/36/borne-connexion-sans-vis-nylbloc-auto-pour-3-conducteurs-.html

Available for 2 -5 conductors (edit although further down the same page it says for "rigid or souple". I think I would struggle to push a mulitcore in there, but then I prefer to use the rigid for houe wiring anyway.). 

Sid

A small word of caution regarding push connectors:

If you're talking about any sort of current carrying capacity push fit connections will never be as safe or secure as choc-bloc. To a greater or lesser extent choc-bloc compresses the wire increasing the area of contact whereas push fit will compress very little, if at all, so you end up with just small points of contact which can, in turn, generate heat and......well you know the rest..

You might draw a rough analogy with a car tyre: Flat (compressed) the area of contact with the road is quite large, inflated there are only a few cm2 of actual contact.

Yes, absolutely no problem.

I'll admit I'm being over cautious and didn't mean to worry you it was just that your initial comment about cutting your hands to pieces suggested that

you might have been working with bigger cables for which push-fits may not

have been appropriate, that was really the point of my comment.

As with any electrical item if you respect the specifications and manufacturers instructions they are perfectly safe [;-)]

[quote user="AnOther"]A small word of caution regarding push connectors:

If you're talking about any sort of current carrying capacity push fit connections will never be as safe or secure as choc-bloc. To a greater or lesser extent choc-bloc compresses the wire increasing the area of contact whereas push fit will compress very little, if at all, so you end up with just small points of contact which can, in turn, generate heat and......well you know the rest..

You might draw a rough analogy with a car tyre: Flat (compressed) the area of contact with the road is quite large, inflated there are only a few cm2 of actual contact.

[/quote]

Sorry, but the converse is actually true; The "borne automatique", use a sliding contact, which makes a long contact down either side of the wire. Choc block screws tend to ease slightly over time (as do all non-locked bolts), reducing the effectiveness of the contact. All the electricians I know use them, not just because they are faster (they also cost alot more).

No pro fittings (sockets, switches, etc) use screw contacts any more - only those stocked by the likes of BricoDepot.