BRICKS AND WOODBURNERS

Angie

Is it possible to buy house bricks (used in typical UK houses) in any DIY stores in France or indeed any of the builders merchants - have to say we haven't seen any round our way in Aude? 

Also, on the subject of Woodburners yet again (sorry), the one we have our eye on in our local Brico weighs in at a hefty 176kg.  It says they are delivered on a pallet, but does anyone know if they in sections or shall I and my mate have to risk yet another hernia wrestling it up 3 steps to the house?  Thanks as always.

[quote user="Steve"]

Is it possible to buy house bricks (used in typical UK houses) in any DIY stores in France or indeed any of the builders merchants - have to say we haven't seen any round our way in Aude? 

[/quote]

Have you a Leroy Merlin nearby?

There online catalogue shows this http://www.leroymerlin.fr/mpng2-front/pre?zone=zonerecherche&intuitiontodo=searchproductsfamily&family=briques&photovisible=1&pageid=71&presentationid=2&promo=1

I don't think it is the greatest idea in the world to dismantle a woodburner, some of them have fire cement included in their construction, and if you don't get that right on re-assembly you could be giving yourself problems you don't want. When we had ours delivered it was on a pallet and the delivery guys had a sack trolley that incorporated a mechanical hoist,  we had to lift the fire about two feet into the fireplace, the hoist worked a treat. Also most vans delivering such products have tail lifts, so if your steps are at the outside of your house maybe they could back right up to the steps, and lower the tail lift level with the top step. Also if they  use a pallet truck with hard wheels, not bad idea to have some strips of ply to protect your floors  Good luck.  [I]