septic tank for 4 gites?

nijntje

Hello,

We bought an old farm with outbuildings and we will be creating 4 gites.

1 - 1 bedroom cottage

2 - 2 bedroom gites

1 - 3 bedroom gite

so 8 bedrooms in total.

What is the best option for our septic tank system? 1 tank per gite seems like crazy, what about 2 tanks, 1 for 2 gites (4 bedrooms per tank).

Or can we do 1 really big tank? How many liters should this be and where can I found one? I have never come across bigger then 6000 liter.

If we do 2 tanks, can we have 1 filter-bed for the 2 tanks?

Are the rules for gites different then a main house because it is not rented for the whole year?

Anyone any experience in this?

thanks,

Inge

hi ok

Thy way the size is worked out is as follows  :-   each person uses 145 ltrs of water a day and you must have a tank large enough to hold 3 days stock so  .... 145 x 3 = 435   x people in property in your case  8 bedrooms = 16 people   = 6950  so you need a 7000 ltr tank ...  if you can tell a few porkies and claim 2 of the bedrooms are single rooms ,this will knock the size down to 6000lts ..Its the size of the filter system needed for this size of fosse thats going to cost   sure it`s 50 m3  but will have to check that up ...

Dave

Thanks for the answers!

Land should not be a problem, almost 2 hectares and where we plan to have the fosse it is level or even a bit down from the houses...

should the fosse be installed within a certain range from the house? For example maximum 10 meters? And how big should the drain field be? Can you later grow grass over the drain field?

I know I should ask all these questions to Spanc or the Marie.... or they will tell me...just want to be prepared and think about it already before they come and check!

We will be installing the whole thing ourselves, any idea where I can by a big fosse and what the price would be for a 8000 liter?

Thanks!

Inge