6 amp plug, 16 mp socket.

Chancer

I had realised that the pins on a French 6 amp (2 pin) plug are smaller than those of a 16 amp (3 pin) socket but as the only corresponding sockets that I could find were trailing lead types I had always assumed that it was OK to plug them into a 16 amp wall socket, after all my senseo machine, radio, mobile and rasor chargers etc all come fitted with 2 pin 6 amp plugs.

However today whilst working on my caravan I found that it has 6 amp two (small) pin wall sockets (they are used fo the 12 volt lighting) so can anyone confirm that it is indeed permitted to use a 6 amp plug in a 16 amp socket?

Then I can  fit one to my compressor that keeps blowing 13 amp fuses in the UK plug [;-)][6][:-))]

Editted. My Senseo machine does in fact have a 3 pin 16 amp plug.

Thanks Anton.

I knew that it goes in (phnaar phnaar[:-))]) but wasnt sure if it could safely carry a 6 amp load, I didnt realise that there was only half a mm difference.

I have just measured a few and they come upat 4mm for the 6 amp and 5mm for the 16 amp but here is the intersting bit - my UK sourced France to England plug adaptors only have 4mm terminals which explains why they have been known to go up in smoke with heavier loads.

So with you help I have answered my own question, - they are OK up to 6 amps but i will keep a close eye on my adaptors (which I have to use as my tools are used in both countries) as my welder and compressor are often connected using them.

A good idea Anton.

Currently I have one UK 5 gang trailing socket fitted above my workbench and my UK extension leads and power tools run off this, however it is in turn connected through an adaptor plug as is my compressor and bench drill at the other end.

I am going to put a French plug on the 5 gang socket and fit another one at the other end with a French plug, this should remove two fire risks and liberate two adaptors.

I am poncing around with bricolage today like most Sundays (a change is as good as a rest) and will do it T.D.S.

So what is a UK razor socket then? My electric toothbrush (bought in Boots) is not at all keen to fit into a French socket - either a standard 2+E or a(n increasingly rare) flat 2 no E, bit fits into a UK razor socket. Is it some daft UK standard which matches nothing else in the world? Like my wife's Frister and Rossmann sewing machine which has a lamp specifically E12. Which neither I nor the lighting wholesaler had ever heard of.

p