Push fit waste pipe fittings

nomoss

Does anyone on here know if these exist in France, or do they only have glued (solvent) fittings? No use buying from UK as there they use 110mm and France uses 100mm  Smile [:)]

I want to connect a new "WC" to an existing underground waste pipe. A push fit tee and a slip joint would be the easiest way.

http://www.screwfix.com/prods/50730/Plumbing/Underground-Drainage/Equal-Junction-87-1-2-Double?source=aw&cm_mmc=AffiliateWindow-_-DeepLink-_-Na-_-Na

I have only found solvent fittings but wherever I use them buried I dont glue the joints, it makes it easier for future mods, allows some degree of expansion and contraction and any water that seeps out is effectively micro-filtered.

For a slip joint I use a manchon and cut out the centre locating nibs, I then file what remains so that it can be slid over the joint, in this case I do use solvent but have to move quick.

They do sell something called a manchon de dilatation which has a rubber seal, I use them on 40 and 50mm where for instance the waste pipe from a meuble salle de bain passes through to the floor underneath and has to be removable in order to remove the meuble.

I dont know if you can get them in 100 or 125 but they would be hors de prix for me.

[quote user="Chancer"]

I have only found solvent fittings but wherever I use them buried I dont glue the joints, it makes it easier for future mods, allows some degree of expansion and contraction and any water that seeps out is effectively micro-filtered.

For a slip joint I use a manchon and cut out the centre locating nibs, I then file what remains so that it can be slid over the joint, in this case I do use solvent but have to move quick.

They do sell something called a manchon de dilatation which has a rubber seal, I use them on 40 and 50mm where for instance the waste pipe from a meuble salle de bain passes through to the floor underneath and has to be removable in order to remove the meuble.

I dont know if you can get them in 100 or 125 but they would be hors de prix for me.

[/quote]

Actually the manchons are available without the central nibs, and - no - I've never seen the rubber colar ones in anything bigger than 50mm. Stupid really.

And  - yes - you do have to be bloody quick after applying the glue to the last surface to fit them all together and to orient it all properly.  I recommend a couple of dry runs and lots of unique location marks with the old felt tip magic marker. Also be very certain the existing pipe is dry before glueing (is there really an 'e' in glueing?).. if all else fails use a wodge of paper towel as a mini dam to hold back/mop up the dribbles. At least you don't have to worry about it blocking up the pipe, unlike the screw of paper hankie I neglected to retrieve from a 14mm copper I soldered yesterday: most of it ended up in the nozzle of the kitchen sink mixer, but the rest had to persuaded back out with the garden hoze. Such larks, eh, Pip ?

p

Yes push fit is available in all the standard sizes right up to the really big stuff 100, 125, 150, 200 & 300mm and there abouts abouts, the push fit ends are in yellow but it is tricky to find. I got mine at a branch of R Merlin in Chatellerault and even the staff said they hadn't got it and tried to sell me solvent weld but I had seen someone leave with some so walked around with a member of staff until I found it. It was almost as if they didin't want to sell it!

Thanks Chancer and gyn_paul. We are in the process of buying the house, so I'm probing the mysteries of the plumbing and wiring.

Part of the house is a commercial premises which we plan to let. The previous tenants ran a business there themselves, so used the sanitary arrangements in the house, but we shall have to create a washroom/WC in an existing room within the "shop", built for that purpose, but not fitted out.

The pipe is in the floor of a small "service area", in the middle of the house, between  the kitchen and the new washroom. The floor was left as gravel so that the buried pipes are accessible for eventual connection of the new facilities, and the top of the 100mm waste is just below the surface. I just can't understand why they didn't add the extra branch when they were building the place. It would have been so simple, but I guess they didn't want to spend 50€ extra for something they didn't need [:)]

Once the job is finished I plan to pour cement over the pipes and tile the floor of the space to use it as a laundry room. I am not keen on using glued pipe without solvent in case there is eventual seepage/smell in the house, but I'm not confident about making solvent joints quickly enough in the restricted space either. The new branch will run less than a metre, under a wall into the new washroom and up to the new WC immediately on the other side, so push fit pipe would be ideal for fitting and alignment.

Théière, could you please tell me what push fit pipe is called in French? I presume by R Merlin you mean Leroy Merlin, but I can only find glued fittings in 100mm in their online catalogue, and their nearest branch to us is in Rivesaltes, about 100km from here.

Spent some more time Googling. I found a "Push-fit" connection, but it's a flexible rubber pipe for awkward installations.

Eventually found push fit fittings are called Système à joint or Système "J". Richardson seems to have them. They have a branch not too far away, so I'll pop into town this afternoon and see what they have.

http://www.richardson.fr/les-produits-richardson/plomberie/pvc-evacuation.html

110mm waste pipe also seems to be sold here. I'll remember that in case I ever want to build a new house......

Sorry nomoss my french isn't good enough and despite my best efforts I could not make myself understood hence being trailed around the whole place by a member of staff. R Merlin is a proper builders merchant not a brico as Leroy Merlin is.

I will see if I can find the receipt but it was two years ago so I don't know if i have it on file.

Come to think of it I am sure that PUM plastics sell it, I tend to disregard them for anything thats available elsewhere as their prices are not just French but French on a drugs trip [:-))]

Even with an 80% discount which you should be able to get if you stand your ground they are still taking the p155 but for one fiting and for piece of mind then why not give them a try?