Best interior render/plaster/chalk for damp stone wall?

joidevie

We have one front facing wall to a village house which seems to like to absorb moisture from the ground, especially after some rain (though not always, there are many wells only 4m deep in the village).

After removing some panels of 'fibrociment' (put there by previous owners, which only served to keep all the moisture behind it) we're left with exposed stone & mortier. We've left it to dry a few weeks but realise that the moisture will return, but are philosophical and want to let it 'breathe' rather than cement it up or put in a damp course.

We plan to use natural 'chalk paint/enduit' for decorating and may open a couple of 100mm breating holes along the wall..

What I was wondering was what sort of mix to use as a 'bonding coat' to render the stone wall before the final 3-4mm chalk paint/enduit? Something that will 'allow' the wall to breathe rather than seal in (and eventually breaking out) the damp?

Does anyone have any good experiences, and some mix ratios or additional additives to put into the mix?

Many thanks..

I presume by "chalk" you actually mean "chaux", the french term for lime.

Outside pointed stone is more frequent.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep014.jpg[/IMG]

Inside is rarer.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep003.jpg[/IMG]

Decorative even rarer.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep007.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I would resolve the dampness issue before putting any enduit on an inside wall.

Great stuff..

I actually re-pointed the last place I had like you have (not the 'decorative' way!), and the damp would appear and disappear as the moisture built up and give no problems and simply evaporate..

The new place has 'proper' classic flat interior walls and I'm hoping to go the "let the moisture breathe route..". I posted a thread a while ago where much consensus was aimed at this rather than laying damp courses or cement rendering on top...

Is this not a valid route to pursue?

Thanks..

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I presume by "chalk" you actually mean "chaux", the french term for lime.

Outside pointed stone is more frequent.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep014.jpg[/IMG]

Inside is rarer.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep003.jpg[/IMG]

Decorative even rarer.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/FrenchNewsSep007.jpg[/IMG]

Personally I would resolve the dampness issue before putting any enduit on an inside wall.

[IMG]http://i282.photobucket.com/albums/kk244/pachapapa/LegalServitudes048.jpg[/IMG]

[/quote]

I remember your "asbestos" thread but did not post as it quickly got the 'elf&safti fraternity on heat.[:)]

Was there another thread?

By the way all the photos on the two pages of upload to photobucket are open to public viewing so do have a look around.

The album is a favourite spot for Salty Sam he cant resist the ones in french to get practice in the language.[:D]

[quote user="pachapapa"]

I remember your "asbestos" thread but did not post as it quickly got the 'elf&safti fraternity on heat.[:)]

Glad you remember, I don't !

The album is a favourite spot for Salty Sam he cant resist the ones in french to get practice in the language.[:D]

Only as long as there are pictures and no big words.

[/quote]

Bingo with you. First the asbestos sheets just remove them carefully, take them outside and break them gently into pieces 25-30 cms.

Stick them in strong bin bag and seal bag with the plastic band supplied, place the bag in another bag and store in a garage or outbuilding until a suitable site for disposal becomes available.

[quote user="pachapapa"]

Bingo with you. First the asbestos sheets just remove them carefully, take them outside and break them gently into pieces 25-30 cms.

Stick them in strong bin bag and seal bag with the plastic band supplied, place the bag in another bag and store in a garage or outbuilding until a suitable site for disposal becomes available.

[/quote]

Is this an example of your expertise, or are you making an unsubstantiated allegation in as much as I may have suggested the above ?

[quote user="Salty Sam"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Is this an example of your expertise, or are you making an unsubstantiated allegation in as much as I may have suggested the above ?

[/quote]

Just yet again another example of my undoubted expertise which I hope you will bookmark for future reference.

The proviso is made that the expertise relates only and exclusively to chrysotile asbestos and manufactured products containing chrysotile asbestos.

OK.. We removed the sheets (wearing full disposable overalls/masks etc) as full sheets - our decheterie takes them in a special skip..

The wall is pretty dry now, but I guess I'm still looking for some advice on rendering the exposed stone (which goes to about waist height - clearly this has been taken off prior to the panels being put on..)

Many thanks..

Masks etc perhaps a bit over the top but glad its fixed. Teapot is right the fabric of the wall is important. Is, as is common in french peasant houses , the wall at the window position less thick with the outside in line with the rest of the wall? When you speak of wells 4 metres deep do you mean total depth or depth to the surface of the water? What sort of ground is the house built on? Does a neighbour actually have any idea of the depth of a well? Is there any surface water close such as ponds or streams?

Can you locate approximately the position of the village so as to identify the type of surface geology on the geolgical map below.

[IMG]http://www.languedoc-roussillon.ecologie.gouv.fr/imgs/Herault/fondements/carte_hd/carte_geologie_Herault.jpg[/IMG]

Bang in Zone 10 on your map (Southern bit)... Wells are around 16m deep with the water table around 4m, and these quickly fill up overnight if you empty the well (impossible as they're around 4m in diameter -  a LOT of water!). NO nearby surface water with a central village location

The stones are the usual mix of whatever was around at the time, but no flint that I've ever found..

We don't really want 'exposed stone' as this was what we had before in our barn which was more rustic in feel (although it would do a good job of dealing with rising moisture - going dark after heavy rain up to around 1m high, but soon drying out..). This is more of a 'town house' in feel - hence the quest for a good base coat on the stonework before going to the thin top 'skim type' coat of chalk mixed with 'Predose' (a natural additive to help adhesion) with added pigments for the decorative finish. I anticipate a 'bonding' type coat of around 20mm will be needed..

We're not so worried about the wall being temporarily 'damp' after rain, and would rather want the water to do what it has to do, and go away afterwards.. ie. sink back down, or disperse upwards. The fibroplaques were so unsympathetic to the effect of moisture and for years trapped all the moisture in the wall.. So too the lino laid on the tomettes, which, when rolled up and chucked, revealed owners desperate to hold something back that may just needed to have been allowed it's natural cycle..

The suits & masks, yes, maybe a little over the top, but at £3 a pop, worth the Ebay purchase.. And a couple of great snapshots for the photo album!

Any more thoughts? Thanks..