Which cable PTT ?

joidevie

Hi..

We're in the process of feeding our cabling on a re-wire and I was wondering which telephone cable to buy? We have a new Orange voip. line with a livebox and this only seems to connect to two of the strands in the current phone junction box.

Brico depot has "PTT 298 4 paires",  or "souple 2, 4 or 5 paires"

Which one? The souple 2 paires is almost half the price, but will I be missing out further down the line?

Many thanks..

What are you trying to do?

If you install ADSL splitter where the telephone arrives rather than having adapters all round the house you need four core.

If you want to run two computers from the livebox then you need more than two wires from it to the other PC

If it is a new supply and you need a CONSUEL inspection then there are complex and expensive requirements.

This is a complex subject and it is hard enough having electrical equipment unlocked so you can buy it at Bricodepot, advice never seems to be on the agenda.

It's no longer common practice to use PTT type cable to run the various "prises de communication". Use Cat5e network cable as a minimum to RJ45 type sockets, with all cores connected - how the system then works is up to what you do/spend back at the central "coffret de communication". You can opt to be very basic at that point but at least the wiring is in place to make a better network later on.

Don't forget that it is now "au norme" to run comms cables in 25mm diamter ICTA conduit/gaine, but you can run two inside such a size (or a coax & a Cat5e/6).

I've written more about it here.