Insulation questions - again

woolybanana

A pic is worth a thousand words, but I think I get what you mean, so I'd cut celotex to fit, screw battens across to hold the celotex which could first be just taped into position. The plasterboard can be cut to fit and screwed to the battens, then filled with plaster to seal. Get going and good luck[:D]

I have just gotten out of the shower after laying 45m2 of 170mm Knauf Rockwool type insulation in their loft, dirty horrible job leaving you with black bogies and gritty teeth but at least they now have about 12" of insulation to keep em toasty.

This insulation is on offer in Homebase for £3 a roll or 8m2 if any one is over here wanting to take some back.

[quote user="Quillan"]What about French products, you info seems to be about only English products.[/quote]

Sorry Q, not being fluent in French I resort to the UK for info. My post was mainly for information on the concepts of insulation, however Actis TrIso10 is a French product which seems to sadly fall short of the certificate for insulation and fire resistance for the moment but the Super quilt is available or can be shipped to France. Kingspan whilst not directly available have tied up with Reticel which is a French subsidiary.

[quote user="crossy67"]I have just gotten out of the shower after laying 45m2 of 170mm Knauf Rockwool type insulation in their loft, dirty horrible job leaving you with black bogies and gritty teeth but at least they now have about 12" of insulation to keep em toasty.

[/quote]

Nothing wrong with that providing a breather membrane was used if it is going in the eaves and the problem in most French properties of losing the wooden beams to rockwool depth, oh and a dust mask or two

All the cheap £3 rolls that I have brought over have been Knauf ecose system laine de verre not laine de roche which has been an absolute pleasure to work with by comparison.

You can rub your face with it and even your wedding tackle should you wish without any irritation, I didnt wear a dust mask and there was nothing untoward to report on the crotte de né front.

Théière........where on Superquilt's site does it say it has passed the hot box test ? i can't find it.

It still needs to be used in conjunction with other insulation and when doubled up they don't show any thermal figures.

you have to install with a 25mm air gap either side and when you staple it to the beams you create a cold bridge.

I think the Germans have got it absolutely right right.

W

Hi Wilko, it wasn't on Superquilts site so probably worth double checking although it does have the BBR cert. The hot box info came from the comparison site I posted earlier........

Interesting comparison of Multifoils Here

Although stapling to a rafter will reduce its thermal value it's more warm bridging than cold. I get your point but it is stupid to imagine that a 40mm ish multifoil can out perform PU or PIR foam but if you can use it with thinner PU or PIR foam then its a winner. There seems to be something in the reflective aluminium that foams and multifoils share and rock wool or glass fibre don't which is something the producers are keeping quiet about. The other point on rock wool and glass fibre is that it's efficiency is reducing with age and moisture, that said it's only insulation so having plenty of any form is better than none.

The hot box test does seem to be a pretty crap simulation of the thermodynamics of heat loss in a building, surely it is more relevant to an oven casing or similar.

I have used isolant mince and can confirm non scientifically that it seems really effective in both summer and winter, I am working in the insulated grenier right now and I can only use the space heater for 20 minutes before it becomes unbearable, my roof was the only one to remain with a full covering of snow in my area when all of the others had melted although that probably says more about the poor insulation in the others.

I have also used it to line a Tyvek envelope to keep my packed lunches cool, I did a canoeing trip on a really hot summers day and my contribution to the communal feast was like it had just come out of the fridge some 5 hours after. I got the idea from Domino's Pizza!

[quote user="Théière"] that said it's only insulation so having plenty of any form is better than none.[/quote]

PRE-xactly[:)], you need to consider what the situation was like before and after whatever is installed.
My experience reflects the above quote, if you have a drafty cold roof space before installation and afterwards it is very comfortable then you have the desired result.  From a simple quilt installation to a complete replacement roof structure also has dramatic difference in budget and work involved.[;-)]

Chevaux pour les cours;

[quote user="just john "]

From a simple quilt installation to a complete replacement roof structure also has dramatic difference in budget and work involved.[;-)]

Chevaux pour les cours;

[/quote]

Not really a complete roof structure replacement, just the addition of some counter battens, but yes a sizable difference in budget

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="just john "]   From a simple quilt installation to a complete replacement roof structure also has dramatic difference in budget and work involved.[;-)]

Chevaux pour les cours;[/quote]

Not really a complete roof structure replacement, just the addition of some counter battens, but yes a sizable difference in budget[/quote]

To be more specific, the quilting (with counter battens) was done to Architects spec on behalf of a friend, and the results were satisfactory to them and within a relatively small budget and time frame. Whereas in my own case the decision to completely replace the roof structure to achieve multiple aims was considerably more expensive but the effect surprisingly noticeable and commented on by everyone working on the job. The building is a very old stone structure but having replaced and insulated the floors, doors, windows and roof it is amazingly warm even after being left for three months of cold weather, when entering there is a noticeable absence of chill; likewise in summer when entering, it is noticeably a cool building.

• 2 weeks later...
I've used R-etro product very successfully, does away with all wood and gives you supports that are just visible to screw to - available in 50mm or 100mm and is food grade material - I did our cellar with it so didn't have to put any stud walls in.

You can find info in English here - http://www.quadlock.com/retrofit_insulation/ and we ordered ours from here http://www.ecomatcenter.com/crbst_51.html

hope that helps