Putting a new rubber tube on the gas heater - any hints?

Loiseau

This question hardly counts as "house renovations", but here goes...

I feel it is about time I updated the white flexible tube that joins the gas bottle to my gas heater, as its year of expiry is somewhat past.

Rather feebly, I have never tried to do it myself.  

Is there a trick to getting the new tube fitted to the nozzle?  Would it help to warm the tube in hot water, or to dust it with talc?

Angela

Although it can be quite tight the connector is designed to fit the hose without any lubrication and I personally would advise against using any.

As Anton says firm clamping of the connector will help enormously and fitting it to the appliance or the bottle should suffice, assuming you have good access. If you still lack the strength to push it on then hot water will be sufficient to temporarily soften it.

Why not ask in the shop where you buy the new hose if they will fit the connector for you ?

If all else fails borrow a man [Www]

I did borrow a very DIY-capable French neighbour last time, AnO, but he made such a meal of it that I thought (a) he would never manage to do it at all without compromising his macho status, and (b) that I had better master the technique and not have to ask him again! ;-)

Angela

EDIT

PS Very good point about clamping; I hadn't thought how hard it would be to fit the hose to the "detendeur" without something solid to hold the latter.

For the nozzle at the appliance end, I would just have to block the heater against a wall or something I suppose. Can't see the whole appliance being clamped in the vice!