Exterior wall insulation

Russethouse

Has anyone ever used this and if so was it worth it ?

Our downstairs cloakroom and utility area are very small but are both single brick, due to having an extension last year we are going to render the outside of these areas anyway and are thinking about adding this extra layer of insulation, if it would make them warmer.

[quote user="Russethouse"] I just wondered if there were any particular things to watch for - I hadn't heard of tackling the problem from the outside before.[/quote]

Most buildings in Germany, Poland, Czech Republic etc....are insulated from the outside.

It is supposed to be better as you don't get cold bridging where an internal wall meets an external wall usually at 90 deg as internal walls are not usually insulated only the inside of external walls if you catch my drift.

I watched them do this last year on a house down the road. It seemed to take a long time, about eight weeks to do a whole house, because its a lot more 'fiddly' than doing the inside. tacking drain pipes off  etc (although you won't have shutters etc to deal with in the UK) and there were quite a few blokes working on it which means it will be expensive. Other than that observation I don't know much about it so I can't comment further,

One thing concerns me, we could do another wall, but our French doors currently open out and fold right back onto it, I just wonder if adding to the depth of the wall externally would throw this out of kilter.....I don't really want to alter the doors.

Our builder is coming round this afternoon - she has already said the job is not difficult but the materials are pricey - I doubt the saving would be that great but I'm hoping the comfort level would improve, as it is if the door between the sitting area and backdoor is left open it makes it chilly....

We have recently insulated our inside walls, in the traditional way, wood batons, insualted sheets and plaster board, then plaster. But there is some stuff that is expensive and only about a 1/4 of a inch thick that you can simply stick on your walls, then paint or paper or tiles, or so they said.I got a sample of this stuff via something like the energy savings trust.

A swedish friend of ours from the arctic circle said that they had a similar thing on their walls when she was growing up and even in the coldest part of winter their walls were never cold to the touch.

I think I saw someone buying it in B&Q recently, no idea if it was ordered or they had it in stock as I was at the checkout.

There is an English product called Sempatap which is an internal insulation that is applied like wallpaper.

The makers sent me a sample and it looks very good.

It may be easier and cheaper than tackling the exterior walls.

I don't know how to create a hyperlink on this site but the URL is :

www.mgcltd.co.uk