run down property in Vendee..should I buy?

Good evening all,

I wondered if you may be able to advise me on this project. My in-laws live just outside Fontenay and have told me about a run down and shabby house (shed) that has stood empty for two years. It has a nice size plot of land with it (and a goat!!!)and we have liased with the french family and they have offered it to me for 30 000 euros including taxes. What I would like to know is does anyone think this would be worth buying. I am a builder and dryliner so it really interests me that I can get stuck in and start working on it when I can. Is the french property prices in the Vendee region steady at the moment and would I make a return on it in the long run.

I am awaiting the dimensions of the building and exact land size so will post that as soon as I have them.

Anyway, thank you for any information you can give me and I look forward to sharing my thoughts and interests with you all.

Many thanks

Mike

Err do you actually mean it is a shed, or do you mean it is a shell of a building?

Land is relatively cheap in France (although I am not expert), so if all you have is a plot of land and a shed, then it is possible that the land is not even constructible.

I really do think you need to find out an awful lot more about the land, it's use, and the building(s) on it, before you even consider this further.   You won't be able to just get stuck in, if you need a construction permit, for example.

Also, not entirely sure how someone can offer to sell in France and include all taxes, as I had the impression that the Notaire always allocated the taxes.    Could be wrong though....

If there is a dwelling that was inhabited only two years ago you shouldn't have any problem getting the go ahead to renovate it. As a builder you will be able to assess how much money you'll need to spend (on water, roofs, drainage, electric etc) better than any of us forum posters who have never seen the place!

As to what'll it be worth? How longs a piece of string - ask local estate agents / look in their windows at the prices.  30k (plus a couple of tins of paint) doesn't sound like alot for a house.

But it is alot for a "shed" and a goat.  Even a very good Vendee goat.

[quote user="londoneye"]

Also, not entirely sure how someone can offer to sell in France and include all taxes, as I had the impression that the Notaire always allocated the taxes.    Could be wrong though....

[/quote]

Lots of prices are quoted inclusive of all fees and taxes. I bought mine on that basis. The price I agreed with the agent was what I paid - not a centime more. The Notaire deducted all the fees and taxes from the sum I paid and gave what was left to the seller. He may have had to gross up a notional figure to arrive at the tax but that didn't concern me. The completion statement in fact had masses of entries for all sorts of fees and taxes but none of them affected the sum I had to pay.

[quote user="Ian"]

But it is alot for a "shed" and a goat.  Even a very good Vendee goat.

[/quote]

One should never knock a Vendéen goat. Good sturdy things. Very short-tempered though.

€30,000 does sound cheap though. Building plots around here (just outside Fontenay) are going for €25000 for around 700m2 hors services such as power, water, drains, etc. If it were me I'd at least look at the details and then talk around the neighbours to see if you can find the fatal flaw - planned chemical weapons dump next door, site of a new artillary range, that sort of thing.

Hi Mike.

I too think it's a good price (on the face of it) but I wonder if you've looked on the internet for other property, or land in the area?

I've been approached a couple of times by people with tumbledown houses nearby, asking me do I know any English who will buy.

When I've sussed things out (because at one point I was helping someone look for land/property here) it was a terrible rip off, once I started to add up the cost of importing/improving utilities, and even getting the land staked out for the cadastral plan  can add thousands of Euros if its a big plot.

I would never have bought a house in England without comparing and contrasting prices/what was on offer and wouldn't advise it here either.

P.S; Goats are ten a penny. Do not be swayed by Goats, no matter how cute or strong they are.

No offence to the Goats of the Vendée intended (but I do prefer Irish ones).[:)]

Some agents say that prices of property on the South Vendée are falling at the moment with which I concur. If you buy a plot with a goat and shed, assuming you can get all the permissions it is going to cost the equivalent of anew place to rebuild. So, is it worth it?[6]

I am looking for a place at the moment and it strikes me that there is loads of stuff cheap for someone with skills and a little nounce.

Well, there's some pretty sensible comments here. For this site. [:)]

Leaving the goat to one side (and don't forget to tether it with a stout chain - never be tempted to use a rope because the little blighter will eat it), the major advantage I could see with rebuilding on an existing footprint - be this a renovation or a complete knock down and reconstruation - is that you will probably get a lot more space on an established plot.

Now that building land is more highly valued, and planning permissions a little more rigorous than they were, plots tend to be smaller. Generous perhaps by UK standards, but not huge. If space is not a factor you are concerned about then I would concur that a "new" plot and a modern build (you would be able to much of the internal work yourself, by the sounds of it) may well be the better option in cost terms.

If you were prepared to buy in hay for the goat then I reckon you could keep it (and a suitable goaty friend) on two paddocks of about 500m2 each, rotating to avoid over grazing the pasture. That could be next door, of course. Not part of the building plot.

EDIT: A friend who is better informed than I (this is not difficult) tells me that my €25,000 for 700m2 is on the high side and that €25 per square meter is more realistic.

Hi All,

Thanks for the replies..and especially the goat information....

Anyway..let me explain some more..

It is a house..not a shed..but a house thats in the condition of a shed....some walls have collapsed and are only in breeze block, part of the roof has sunk... The guy that lived their passed away two years ago and it has been empty ever since..apart from the Goat "Norma" that has been watered and fed by a local farmer.

The main dwelling part has been locked up since the passing of the guy and the shutters etc closed so I cannot see any of the interior of the building as yet. Although I am waiting for my father in law to get the keys and go and have a look.

I believe the dwelling has electricity and I know it has running water as there is an external tap...from which I gave Norma some water ;)

I have some pictures of the outside that I can email to anyone who may be able to give me more of an idea about it..don't get me wrong, it does need a hell of alot of work but I think it could be a good investment and as my in laws live a stones throw away from it, I may be able to let it out and get them to keep an eye on it as they rent their farmhouse and gite out too...

Anyway..I look forward to your thoughts.

Cheers

Mike ........+ Norma

The goat's called Norma? So, assuming that goats are named with the same convention as dogs and cats, wouldn't that make her born 1992? A 15 year old goat is pretty impressive and, I think, bears out my earlier asserting that the Vendéen goat is one sturdy beast. Good company too. Terrible breath though.

I don't think I could with clear conscience ever advise anyone on the investment potential of anything whatsoever due to my complete lack of any qualifications at all. Certainly when it comes to a second home in France I have always suggested that it should be treated as a hobby, and hobbies cost money. I can only offer that this a fine part of France, with an agreeable climate, high quality farm animals - not just the goats - and (generally) nice inhabitants.

We have no regrets about either buying property here or living here. But everyone's experince is different.