Shower problem (URGENT ADVICE NEEDED)

connolls

Hi all,

Hope someone can advise me I'm really thick when it comes to plumbing, we have had to take off our shower "faucet" off (if thats what its called, the bit that attaches to the wall to control water and temperature)

We need to "cap" this off for a while without putting the shower "thingy" back on until I can get a plumber to come and have a look. (Anyone know of a good one in the Bellac area 87 ?)

Can I buy shut off valves that will attach to each outlet, they are a "standard" fitting of about 2.5cm wide, internal about 2cm (hot and cold water) and if so what are they called ?

I hope I've explained fully enough for someone to understand and any information will be greatfully appreciated.

Thank you

Kind Regards Mel.

A photo might help as there are several possibilities.

If you are left with 2 male threads on the wall then you can get caps to screw onto them. A trip to your local Brico will almost certainly find you something, take the tap with you for sizing.

You need a "Bouchon male à visser" (male end screw in cap literally) or female, depending on the fitting (ie whether a cap can screw into the existing fitting , or on the outside), and going by your measurements, I suspect it is size 20/27 (20mm internal and 27mm rim size). They are available at all DIY outlets. Also buy some rubber circular flat joints (joint caoutchouc), place one each in the cap and screw them onto the hot and cold outlets. Tighten slightly, but not too much or it can rip the rubber seal and will leak when you re-apply the water presssure. If this happens, disconnect, refit another rubber joint and tighten again. This will hold either premanently, or until at least you find a plumber.

As ANO says a photo is worth a thousand words - you could take a photo to the brico along with the measurements of the diameters of whatever is left showing! I've done this a couple of times when I've been unsure. A plumbers merchant will have better stocks CEDEO for example.

without seeing its difficult but instead of messing around with the valve....why not install two cheap as chips service valves in the pipework below....having first checked that they aren't there already? Once done you will be able to isolate the appliance by the turn of a couple of levers...or screws if you go mega cheap.

Hi all,

Thank you all very much for the replies and information.

Found exactly what I needed thanks to the detailed replies................and have found a supurb plumber who came out this afternoon (responded to my sounds of desperation no doubt !!) and has done the repair for me so it's all working really well again.

Thanks all.

Bon Fete Nationale