Most economic way to repoint a large area of lime mortar

BIG MAC

Hi,

I have about 500m2 of repointing to do (conservative estimate) and want to do it myself.....colour not important but cost is.

IO have heard of locals using cement with chalk in it etc but don't know if that is going to do the correct job. What I need to know is what are the most economic/ practical materials to get and any recommendations as to where from.

Ideally I want to be able to guage the mix in a cement mixer rather than mess about with tubs of lime which I think may be prohibitively expensive....France Forum font of knowledge needed..

We don't do a lot at the same time, mainly as the 'current' walls are internal. So I use chaux from the brico sheds (about 13€ a 35kg bag) and sable jaune from a local quarry (last time I bought it was about 20€ for 450kg). I use a concrete mixer, 3 parts sand to 1 chaux.

Not something I have seen, Limestone expands and contracts with moisture and cement is too hard to be used on that so they part company. Even mud moves with the limestone so stays pretty stable for many years, as with brickwork the mortar should always be the sacrificial part hence re pointing from time to time otherwise if the mortar is harder than the stone the stones will need replacing as it the case on an old building I have to start work on soon. The bricks are eroding leaving the wall with cement mortar joints standing proud so I am cutting out the mortar and replacing with lime and sand NO cement.

I can buy NHL lime in the UK cheaper than Bricos in France, used to be the other way round not so long ago so proper merchants must have a margin you can negotiate on with a large quantity.  There is the Pnu Point re pointing gun which should save quite a bit of time (getting the mix right is essential or the gun won't work properly I am informed and have some notes on the mix from someone else).

Most sand comes from a river for pointing and placing an "enduit".

So local means the nearest big river with plentiful sand deposits.

Chances are it will be the Loire for you.

On friday I purchased 1 M3 of sand the choice between sable de la loire and sable de la vienne. The loire sand is a lighter yellow the vienne sand has a tinge of red ochre; the loire sand is 0-2 and the vienne sand is 0-4 ; the price is € 39.90 for vienne sand and € 42 for the loire variety. Whilst a 0-4 range may be OK for pointing it will not be the best for an enduit. But a 0-2 range will serve for both and other purposes. As this sand, delivery on thursday, will be used for the inside of a 17th century barn iI shall be using the loire variety.

I also purchased a 5 metre madrier 225 mm x 75 mm to go across the width of the barn to accompany the 4 metre bastaings already purchased during the spring promotion.

P.S. In my book 500 sq metres of pointing is not a large area![:P]

500 sqM is phase one ie. this year

Not sure where the sand is coming from ...but my near neighbours live at La Sabliere which is a now disused sand pit...I guess that is where the original was from. I am being quoted 0/4 at €22.10 per tonne and there's about two tonnes of sand to a cube if memory serves so €44 20  is comparable - ish

Our Barn is not so grand probably late 1800s I guess...

While I do the usual trawl the Bricos etc..as I have not mastered French at all ...In fact the best I can do is 'Briccoese' The local merchant and I speak in Franglais...and I think we have an understanding which is great as I would far rather use a local business and he delivers .....happy days

[quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Not a geologist but when most sand was formed XX millions of years ago water levels were much higher so a lot of areas were then rivers but have long since become dry land, our sablier if excavating his from at least a kilometre from the current position of the Cruise

[quote user="Théière"][quote user="pachapapa"]

[/quote]

Not a geologist but when most sand was formed XX millions of years ago water levels were much higher so a lot of areas were then rivers but have long since become dry land, our sablier if excavating his from at least a kilometre from the current position of the Cruise

[/quote]

Perhaps the river Creuse went for a cruise.[:-))]