Advice Please

Quillan

Mrs 'Q' has come up with another idea to keep me occupied through winter so I need a bit of advice.

The roof on our house carries on past the outside wall for a few metres over the terrace. Her idea is to buy those 'conservatory' panels from Brico Depot and basically box it in with them to make a sun lounge for winter use. One would like to think that doing this, basically out to the edge of the roof line (so I wouldn't need to buy roof panels just sides), would not be a problem but knowing France I bet it is. So do I have to get permission, what type and from whom? The floor space this would create would be 16m2 by the way.

Many thanks in advance.

I have two buildings back to back with each other with pitched roofs to a central valley they were both byres (I presume by the troughs and floor cobbles / gulleys)...I have always wanted a big warm workshop for motorcycle restoration work (pleasure not business)

The buildings are not domestic but are attached to a domestic house via an adjoining hangar which they run off at a right angle...complicated? but I will get there!

Do I need any permis to knock the 'middle; wall out (Having cast some footings and piers to carry a large steel or two) I can get the calcs done etc. so structurally we will be fine this would allow me to float a new slab straight over the cobbles (loads of headroom) then tank insulate and screed .....Bit of insulation in the roof above the hayloft ...No more frozen fingers...ahhhh but will the powers that be allow it?

Do these buildings actually have walls or are they really roofs on legs? If they are already enclosed, and you are not planning to turn them into living space, then I can't see that you are changing their function - merely improving them slightly.

If they were mine I'd just be getting on with it.

p

Thanks for the input, here are some measurements that might help explain things.

From the outside of the house the terrace floor extends 3.5M out. The roof only extends 2.1M out so I will have to extend it out by 1.4M.

My plan was to use polycarbonate roof panels to extend the existing roof out 1.4M, that honeycombed stuff that slides in to rails. Because there is a drop at the end furthest away from the house there is no point in having sliding doors there so I want to put fixed glass panels there. I have made a rough sketch which will probably explain things better below.

The idea is to have a breakfast room for the guests for when it's too cold to eat out in the mornings at the beginning and end of the season. There will be some heating in there but only when the room is used. Our existing patio doors (not shown) will open out in to the terrace area when in use. The door shown is actually the front door but it's not used.

[IMG]http://i134.photobucket.com/albums/q99/ckenway/scan0001.jpg[/IMG]

[quote user="BIG MAC"]Laughing here..had a mini stroke in October and since have had odd sleeping patterns[/quote]

Very sorry to hear that, Mac. apparently it's quite a common side effect.  Have you tried a CPAP? I have a friend who's been put on one after years of sleep apnea... he reckons it's taken 10 years off him: he certainly looks the better for it.

p

When I say 'mini' it was very minor but headaches for about 6 weeks had a few 'Tramadol nights' ...I am mega lucky in that speech was only slightly affected (slight stutter and difficulty finding words) Sleep issues probably related more to redundancy (August) and money worries etc.. However...the only way is up...