Green oak supplier dordogne

Rodie

[quote user="Hoddy"]According to the pages jaune there is a forestiere in Rouffignac called Jean Duri. It doesn't say that he supplies firewood but it might be worth asking. If he doesn't sell it himself he may know someone who does.

Hoddy[/quote]

18no 150x150 or 200mm x 4.5m long

those are big bits of firewood [IMG]http://i648.photobucket.com/albums/uu210/alexh01/smile-1-1.jpg[/IMG]

There is Green and Green,

some think green is just a year or so old, but for building, I think anything less than 4-5 years is being a bit fast and loose, given the choice (again ) I  would aim at 7-10 year old seasoned oak.. Harder to work and to cut, but it's possible. We have some 500 year old oak and a man with a regular saw ( or four)   cut three  joints into it to splice in three  beams,  It took nearly a week , but was right to less than a  fag paper.  

We  have also just completed the repair to the front of our timber frame house , the architects spec was green,  and there is some shrinkage on some pieces  , even at 4 years , or the wood supplier lied !!!! 

or perhaps you can  buy reclaimed ???

I should add..

18no 150x150 or 200mm x 4.5m long,  I have just noticed the size/length ,

the aforementioned splicing was about  your size for our  joists,  The builder insisted we had a structural engineer in to check if the ceiling would hold up. (about 12/14 inches apart ) .

The engineer said, by todays standards, it wouldn't be acceptable, but in view of the fact the place hadn't fallen down in 5 centuries, he thought it would be OK to go ahead..  :) Still cost me for his time !

good luck

Bill

more thoughts..

u said..

The old beams coming out will
Do a big fire as they are a bit wormy!      that doesnt matter depends on degrees of worm.. and rot.. Dont throw it away if its just surface worm, the innner wood , if oak  SAND  very old,  will be tougher than anything you can buy today.

apologies if I am teaching my grandma to such eggs..

There is the green and green that Bill identified.

In the Dordogne there is another green. I had problems with this myself because I said I didn't want 'green oak' for firewood. It was explained to me that 'chene vert' is a particular tree. The leaves are so dark that on a hillside they look black which is where the term Perigord Noir comes from.

I assumed that this is what you wanted. This is just a warning to be sure that you are asking for the right thing.

Good luck !

Hoddy

Chêne vert is normally a tree that's grown for coppacing for fire wood and wouldn't normally be able to provide 4.5 metre lengths. The Montagne Noir,  just to the North of us and very much where Pads has her pad, also gets its name from the chêne vert colouring.

I don't think a mastike is too likely, but worth looking out for..