Filling panel doors

crossy67

Hi, looking for some advice if any one can help.

We are trying to fill and paint our old pine (I think) solid panel doors.  Some of the panels have cracks in them and cracks round where they sit on the frame of the door its self.  Any one have any idea what we can fill them with that won't crack again as the door expands and contracts with the change in temperature and humidity?

Hi....I would have thought if it's an old door then it would have finished "moving about" in normal domestic conditions unless it's in a sauna! so a general wood filler would surfice. I've found Dow Cornings website (sorry, you're going to have to do a search) useful in the past for selecting the right "silicone based filler".....so it may also be helpful for you too.

M

I'm currently renovating some pine doors, which are about 100 yrs old but I've had them stripped, so need to be refinished, some are filled with wood filler and waxed for the stripped look; those for painting I'm using PU glue for joints (self-expanding) and after cleaning off excess foam, Polyfilla (suitable for exterior and painting) Decorators Caulk to smooth over, cellulose filler for holes, then two coats of primer, sand, two coats of undercoat, sand, two coats of top coat. (that's why it's taking so long) the finished results are looking good![8-|]

Don't use any silicon based products if you want to decorate afterwards. Once silicon penetrates into the surface it will never take paint again and actually stick that is.

Toupret have some excellent fillers very flexible "Fibacryl" or "Elabfib" both will take paint once dry.