Glass for internal door

Angie

Second post of the day!

Does anyone know where we can buy glass to be cut to size (preferably while we wait) for a door skylight - Quillan area or if not, as far as Carcassonne/Lavelannet/Foix?  We have tried several of our local smaller outlets with no success.

Thank you

I suspect you need plate glass or safety glass as it is a door. You can try Vallets the builders Merchant, first right after the Stade as you leave Quillan on the way to Limoux but he will order it as he does not keep it in stock (he keeps most ordinary glass, including wired, in stock). The only place I know for sure as I have actually bought it there, cut to size while I waited, is Leroy Merlin at Clara nr Perpignan.

[quote user="Quillan"]I suspect you need plate glass or safety glass as it is a door.[/quote]

Seconded.

IIRC, toughened glass has to be cut BEFORE it is toughened (otherwise you end up with lots of bits!). You could try polycarbonate instead.

• 3 weeks later...

Wanted to say a big "thanks" Quillan. Popped in to Vallets and they were extremely helpful.  The guy (who fortunately speaks very good English) looked at our glass project and cut it there and then.  1.7m by 60cm and only cost 19 euros, fantastic.  They had a great selection, greenhouse type glass, safety glass, coloured, patterned and the alternative of perspex and polycarbonate (which despite being twice the price he didn't recommend). 

We also asked him to quote for some building materials which we were going off to order that day at Romera's in Lavelanet.  His quote was over 200 euros cheaper (no special discount) and he delivered the whole lot (blocks, 4 tonnes sand, cement, metal rods etc.) for 13 euros - the driver even advised opening an account as we would get the stuff even cheaper.!!  We shall definitely be using them again.

Mary, I am concerned for you as you paid a too smaller price for safety glass.  Safety glass is just float glass, cut to size and then sent away to be toughened in the furnace.  If you bought the glass cut to size on the day it cannot be toughened (safety) glass.  If however it was cut and you picked it up a few days later after it was sent for toughening then you probably paid the lowest price ever for a piece of safety glass.