Cupboards and doors

Chrissie

Decided to trudge around getting quotes for a custom-built cupboard for our utility area, and at same time thinking ahead to a fitted wardrobe span in one bedroom.

Considering we are talking pretty basic materials, I was horrified by the prices and especially the cost of the DOORS.  Whether sliding or outward-opening, they all seem to cost hundreds - high hundreds at that. 

Is there any large nationwide chain similar to the old Sharps wardrobes people in the UK, who will fit cupboards in your home at a reasonable cost?  (I browsed but got nowhere useful.)

Chrissie (81)

We are very lucky, in that the previous owners of our house had built fitted wardrobes in 3 of the bedrooms by fitting the fronts of some old wardrobes to the recessed hanging space. The result is really good and is often remarked upon by visitors. The door surrounds and carved detail are all intact, and each set of doors is beautiful, aged wood. Similar old wardrobes are readily available for under 150 euros round here. Sometimes a lot less, if the carcasses are a bit old and decrepit.

In our last house we had the same sort of antique doors all over the place, fronting the recesses.  I loved it.  Unfortunately in the new place everything is v. modern.  Also the spaces are not recessed and the utility room space is not standard at all, although the upstairs run of wardrobes would be simple, no curves or corners.  Will look at Leroy Merlin, but I also think I will see what our local menuisier can suggest.......  As a final resort I could order the actual cupboard for the utility space and cover the front with a curtain, but not too keen on that.   Really irritates me to think of paying such steep prices when it is just a rip-off and all you are getting at the end of it all is fancy chipboard-y stuff. [+o(]

Off to have a restorative glass of plonk....

Chrissie (81)

[quote user="Chrissie"]

In our last house we had the same sort of antique doors all over the place, fronting the recesses.  I loved it.  Unfortunately in the new place everything is v. modern.  Also the spaces are not recessed and the utility room space is not standard at all, although the upstairs run of wardrobes would be simple, no curves or corners.  Will look at Leroy Merlin, but I also think I will see what our local menuisier can suggest.......  As a final resort I could order the actual cupboard for the utility space and cover the front with a curtain, but not too keen on that.   Really irritates me to think of paying such steep prices when it is just a rip-off and all you are getting at the end of it all is fancy chipboard-y stuff. [+o(]

Off to have a restorative glass of plonk....

Chrissie (81)

[/quote]

Not the same as you want and in the UK...  But ... I have just had to replace the double doors on a wooden conservatory and was shocked at what a local carpenter wanted to make them over £1000 .  I found a company in the midlands that had the doors I wanted already made but wider  who were prepared to knock them apart reduce them to the width I wanted and send them by courier to me .

Maybe that's a road you can go down in France to get what you have in mind .

Throwing out our latest range of pub, I see rangement is a Brico Leclerc special for the rest of this month. A link to the .pdf is here. Possibly there's something that might appeal, Chrissie... or at least might appeal after it's been finished off properly and perhaps painted... You only need the first 3 pages before the storage boxes and the poêles à bois start featuring.

I have been busy the last few days, looking at more cupboards etc, and can report as follows, for anyone who is in the same boat:

Found a cupboard that will do for my utility area at Ikea, the PAX range, reasonable quality and robust.  Total cost including doors, hinges, shelves and doorhandles is under 170 euros although I will have to pay for delivery (so am taking advantage of that to get a couple of other things at the same time.)  There are only top shelves in it but I can put an old chest of drawers at one side to give side "shelving".

Found a set of attractive wardrobes at not bad prices, including doors, on La Redoute, although I am always a bit wary of buying things sight unseen........  They had a recent promo offering free delivery, including lugging stuff upstairs, so next time they do that I shall probably pounce.  I have reluctantly abandoned the notion of having sliding doors with one of them mirrored, as that gets me into a whole new price range.

Something I have become very aware of is that promo cupboards often have fixed shelves, but these being adjustable is a very important factor to me.

Thanks for all your useful comments, and hope this is helpful to others.

Chrissie (81)