So what is this appeal that is so British

mint

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote user="now just john "][quote user="cooperlola"]

If ever there was a reason to "go for it", that's it, .  Do it while you can, you never know what will happen tomorrow.

[/quote]

My intended message was that it is not that my grief is painful, (it is) or that Sue was a beautiful person who was cheated (she was), but Life is so Brief and Time is a Thief; to all of you out there spending years looking for perfection I would just say you may not have as much time as you think; so dial in some compromise in your list and go for it as Cooper lola says.

I didn't intend to hijack this thread, just make a contribution, please carry on!

[8-|] you will not understand the power and beauty of your youth until they have faded.

[/quote]

John my heart goes out to you.  I lost by best friend of 38 years on Wednesday aged just 45.  She was a wonderful, beautiful person; intelligent, wise, funny and caring with a huge zest for life.  She and her husband had just bought their dream cottage (in the UK).  The final line in her last email to me a few days before she died was "One day we will have the time to do all the things we want to, but it sure isn't now."  She never did have that time.  If you have a dream, don't wait for tomorrow because tomorrow may never come.

[quote user="now just john "] My intended message was that it is not that my grief is painful, (it is) or that Sue was a beautiful person who was cheated (she was), but Life is so Brief and Time is a Thief; to all of you out there spending years looking for perfection I would just say you may not have as much time as you think; so dial in some compromise in your list and go for it as Cooper lola says. [/quote]

John, I'm so very sorry that you and Sue will not have the chance to live out your dream together. You have my deepest sympathy.

I so agree with your comment above and it's what we've now done. My dear father-in-law dropped dead from a heart attack at 60 and he and my MIL never had their long-planned-for retirement. I had my first breast cancer at 52 and a few years later we bought our little French second home the day after first seeing it and have spent years making it habitable.  After my second breast cancer at 59 I decided to retire while I still could, so that we could enjoy the long summer visits we'd been dreaming of.  The house isn't perfect, but neither are we, nor is life, and we are very contented whenever we visit our little corner of Normandy.