Property Ownership Rights

I was talking with a friend the other day and he told me of his experience of French property ownership.  He owned a derilicked barn for 18 years.  Bought it with Planning Permission, did nothing with it and the Planning permission was subsequently revoked.  Now, 18 years later, he is informed by the Maire that as the property is a ruin and he as not made any effort to do anything about it, the property is now owned by the Maire - those were his words, but I suspect he means the commune ?  He just accepted the situation, but I think he may have cause for complaint.

Does the Mairie have these rights to just take property off people ?  I've heard of this type of thing happening in Spain, but not civilised France.

Can anyone advise ?

Many thanks

Phil

When a property is derelict and needs immediate remedial work for the safety of the public, the préfet can order the owner(s) to undertake remedial work. This is called

Arrêté de péril

However, this does not affect the ownership of the property.

Ha, Bonjour Clair, long time no speak !  I trust all is well with you and Mr Clair.  All OK here.

Many thanks for your quick reply.  I've sent an email to the property owner with the link of this thread.  Told him not to give up and start asking some questions, as it doesn't sound right to me.  Thanks again Phil

Hi

Bit like UK, not sure if things have changed in 20 yrs but, if you tended any property or land for a period of 10 yrs without the owner coming forward to claim it as his then the land / property passes to you.

Hi

There is somethining in this as I was told when enquiring at an estate agents about a particualry beautiful very run down property that such properties can be sold by the mayor when in this state as the town wants them renovated.  I got the impression though that this was only in the case when the owner could not be found/contacted after a number of years. 

Panda