Complete France Forum

perhaps I'm just being grumpy but...

Rose

Ive just seen some trailer/soundbite footage on the BBC... you know the film clip things they put together before a programme starts... this one showed footage from the Kite Runner... and had a commonwealth games tag over it at the end... does that make sense?

Anyway... my beef is that it was footage from the film The Kite Runner... a very beautiful film about Afganistan... Could the BBC not find footage from India... or it a case that they look Indian... and the games are in India... or am I just being picky? [Www] [:@]

I was very glad you noticed this trailer for the commonwealth games.

I have read the book The Kite Runner sadly the author shows that he knows little of these kites - but haven't seen the film.

It couldn't have been a clip from the Kite Runner as the kites are Indian not Afghanistan kites as the Afghan kites are a quite different shape  and are slower.

Plus no Afgany is going to make a kite with the India flag on it.

I make, fly and fight these Indian Fighting Kites and was surprised and pleased to see a short sequence of them on TV.

Unfortunately kites are used in advertising to make a link to freedom and green issues.

I loved the young boys excitment of getting a patang in India flag colours and rushing home to fight.

What made me very annoyed is that kite flying is not in the commonwealth (what a horrible word with all it's connotations) games.

Kites were last a demonstration sport in the Olympics in Paris in the early 1900s.

Even more annoying is watching the studio where they show graphics in the background showing simple european kites with long streaming tails!!

Indian kites do not have streamers as tails as they are not necessary and would make the kites too stable and thus uncontrolable.

I have just got the BBCs email so am going to complain at the crass use of an iconic Indian symbol.

PS In India kites are only flown to fight not just put in the air for fun it is a serious sport and very skilled.

PPS Rose I am not far from you in 24 so if you'd like to fly one of these kites I would be only to pleased to teach you.

Dog, I think anybody who is a real expert in any field is just bound to find fault with the way the media and film-makers use images.  I can't watch anything with a train in it, for example, without my o/h pointing out that it's in the wrong place, the wrong line, has the wrong loco or rolling stock, the wrong sort of signal for the era, you name it!  Why do horses yell whenever they're in a film - regardless of what they are doing?  - even if they're just walking about minding their own business, they neigh at the top of their voices, have you noticed?  Totally wrong and unrealistic of course, in reality they hardly ever shout except in very particular circumstances.

But film makers go for effect, and to be honest, really couldn't give a t*ss what a couple of anoraks might think!  I suspect also, Dog and Rose, that all these things are just getting worse and worse as money becomes scarcer and that the printed as well as the visual media are cutting back on research and thus more and more mistakes of this kind are made.

Have you been reading about the paper which just the other day illustrated a story about an incident on a railway last week, with a picture of the line leading to Auschwitz?  I kid you not, this really has happened. 

http://blogs.pressgazette.co.uk/axegrinder/2010/10/06/auschwitz-railroad-pic-used-to-illustrate-cambridge-train-rage-story/

[quote user="cooperlola"]

Dog, I think anybody who is a real expert in any field is just bound to find fault with the way the media and film-makers use images. 

[/quote]

Yes I agree.  In fact, I am now banned by my family from making any comment when a TV/film clip comes on and there is archery involved !

Sometimes I want to explode........

One of the most accurate archery scenes IMHO was with Kevin Costner  in 'Robin Hood' . Not perfect but not bad, except for the silly bit where he strips off a fleching from each of 2 arrows and shoots 2 enemies at once **

**(Yes I tried it, it doesn't work)

Just about anything which features computers or communications of any kind is usually full of 'artistic licence' and I have long since ceased being irritated by it.

A classic recurring example is in the Law and Order series where some detective sits down at a criminals or terrorists password protected computer and bif bang bosh, they are in in 5 seconds flat [geek]

It's amazing how stupid filmakers think we are.

I can understand the press and internet showing an inappropriate picture as they just blindly use library pictures in a rush and newspapers have a short life and things can easily be changed on the internet.

Film and TV are reshown time and time again so you would think they would try a little harder.

Perhaps we should set up a register of detail experts for the media to use when it matters.

PS I really annoys me when they dub the wrong sounds onto motorcycles.

My bête noire is when the hero or villiain breaks the glass on a fire callpoint and all the sprinklers in the building go off.

I have had some entertaining discussions with clients who would not entertain the idea of sprinkler systems in their building for this reason (not that they had any choice), usually educated and worldly wise CEO's but they were absolutely convinced that how a sprinkler system works in Hollywood is reality.

The thing about newspapers is that most people think that the papers get things about right and they usually trust them.

Except...

If anyone actually knows the subject the papers are writing about - in which case the journos invariably have it wrong.

[quote user="Renaud"]If anyone actually knows the subject the papers are writing about - in which case the journos invariably have it wrong.[/quote]I used to work in a press office and got misquoted so often that I began to doubt even things I'd seen for my own eyes as they were reported in the media.

David Simon (Homicde, The Corner, The Wire) used to be a journalist and he is damning about how lazy news reporting has become due, as much as anything, to the pressure from the owners to do less and less in-depth coverage and research and more and more prize-worthy, sensationalist pieces as the media struggles in such an open market.  In fact the whole of the final season of the Wire was about this.   Fascinating man - great screenwriter and social commentator.

[quote user="Dog"]

PPS Rose I am not far from you in 24 so if you'd like to fly one of these kites I would be only to pleased to teach you.

[/quote]

Dog I may well take you up on that offer... I think they're glorious things too.... and I'll have to pay attention to the clip, maybe they mixed some of the kite-flyer into other footage?  If so... I stand corrected [:$]

While I think Rose is undoubtedly correct in her taking the TV company to task, please people remember that films are made to entertain you; not educate. After all nobody talks about the accuracy of fiction novels, books and film are fantasy storeys and involve imagination and poetic licence and should be viewed as such, and enjoyed in the same vein

Perhaps this will help. I'm sure you've seen it before, and there are many more.....

Top 25 things that only happen in the movies

1. It is always possible to find a parking spot directly outside or opposite the building you are visiting.

When paying for a taxi, don't look at your wallet as you take out a

note. Just grab one out at random and hand it over. It will always be

the exact fare.

3. Television news bulletins usually contain a story that affects you personally at the precise moment it's aired.

4. Creepy music (or satanic chanting) coming from a graveyard should always be closely investigated.

Any lock can be picked with a credit card or paperclip in seconds.

UNLESS it's the door to a burning building with a child inside.

6. If you decide to start dancing in the street, everyone you bump into will know all the steps.

All bombs are fitted with electronic timing devices with large red

digital displays so you know exactly when they are going to explode.

Should you wish to pass yourself off as a German officer, it will not

be necessary to learn to speak German. Simply speaking English with a

German accent will do. Similarly, when they are alone, all German

soldiers prefer to speak English to each other.

9. Once applied, lipstick will never rub off. Even while scuba diving.

10. The Eiffel Tower can be seen from any window of any building in Paris.

Any police officer about to retire from the force will more often than

not die on their last day (especially if their family have planned a

party). (Caveat: Detectives can only solve a case after they have been

suspended from duty).

12. Getaway cars never start first go. But

all cop cars do. (They will also slide to a dramatic stop in the midst

of a crime scene).

13. If staying in a haunted house, women should investigate any strange noises wearing their most revealing underwear.

On a police stake-out, the action will only ever take place when food

is being consumed and scalding hot coffees are perched precariously on

the dashboard¦

15. All grocery shopping involves the purchase

of French loaves which will be placed in open brown paper bags (Caveat:

when said bags break, only fruit will spill out).

16. Cars never need fuel (unless they're involved in a pursuit).

If you are heavily outnumbered in a fight involving martial arts, your

opponents will wait patiently to attack you one by one by dancing around

you in a threatening manner until you have defeated their predecessor.

18. If a microphone is turned on it will immediately feedback.

19. Guns are like disposable razors. If you run out of bullets, just throw the gun away. you will always find another one.

20. All single women have a cat.

21. Cars will explode instantly when struck by a single bullet.

22. No matter how savagely a spaceship is attacked, its internal gravity system is never damaged.

23. If being chased through a city you can usually take cover in a passing St Patrick's Day parade - at any time of the year.

The ventilation system of any building is the perfect hiding place.

Nobody will ever think of looking for you in there and you can travel to

any other part of the building undetected.

25. You will survive any battle in any war UNLESS you show someone a picture of your sweetheart back home.

Top 25 things that only happen in the movies cont.

26. If you are chased through an open air market it is fine to upset as many stalls as possible.

27. If you are stranded on an alien spaceship it is a good idea to split-up, so that one lot can rescue the other to keep the plot going.

28. Baddies shot in a shoot-out die quickly or are killed straight out. They never make any groans etc other than aaah when hit.

29. Baddies shooting at James Bond, John Maclean et al, only fire blanks, unless when shooting at glass.

30. Columbo knows who did it before the murder takes place.

31. Alan Rickman never wins. When he was at school none of the other boys picked him to be on their team.

[quote user="Rose"][quote user="Dog"]

[/quote]

Dog I may well take you up on that offer... I think they're glorious things too.... and I'll have to pay attention to the clip, maybe they mixed some of the kite-flyer into other footage?  If so... I stand corrected [:$]
[/quote]

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-oCMHtaiSXw&feature=fvw

[quote user="Cathy"]32.  No character ever has to go to the loo, not even in soaps ...  Ken Barlow has lived in Coronation Street for over 40 years and he has never had the call of nature.

[/quote]

Hi Cathy, nice observation.

Therefore, the shop in Coronation street has not sold one roll of bum paper since 1969!

Archived