Complete France Forum

Films you recommend

krusty

[quote user="Clair"]
Days of Glory is showing on BBC4 tonight: http://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b00l9j3v
[/quote]

Started watching it but had to give up after half an hour. I dont think even the French would send soldiers up a hill against the Germans and then when most had been mown down open up with the big guns ? Surly the done thing is to fire the big guns first ....soften up the enemy ?

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 164
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote user="Quillan"]Watched 'No country for Old Men' which somebody lent me the other night, not a bad film. I have 'Changeling' to watch which I bought with the very disappointing 'Australia' and 'Quantum of Solis', I am hoping for better things from Clint. Just need to find some time to watch it now.[/quote]

Just a quickie, finally watch 'Changeling' and its really an excellent film based on a true story. A few twists and turns as well. If you have not seen it then buy it, if not then put it on your Xmas list. Much better than the other two films I mentioned above.

I notice Tony Scott has remade "the taking of pelham 123" I really can't imagine he could improve on the original with the incomparable Walter Matthau. It's one of my favourites of all time and also  where Quentin Tarantino got some ideas!

I have to say I am very much against remakes. I didn't like the new Thomas Crown Affair nor The Italian Job and the others, well I just have not bothered to watch them. I understand that there will be a sequal to The Italian Job. From what I remember they had a (serious) competition to try and come up with a way that the original 'cliff hanger' ending could be resolved and the winning answer became the starting point of the sequal. Trouble is there was only one man for the part and thats the original, Michael Caine, and as the boss you can't beat the now departed Noel Coward, its just not the same.

Oh yes Alfie was another, watched the first 10 minutes of the new version then turned it off.

Did anyone ever watch the modern film version of The Avengers, what a load of old tosh that was. I read somewhere they are going to do a remake of The Prisoner. Ah yes, just googled it and up it pops HERE well honestly how could they.

Two I do not recommend , The Boy in Striped Pajamas .....David Thewlis just does not cut it as a German officer (must be the Lancashire accent).

And Gran Torino .........Clint playing the grumpy old neighbour ........not for me.

I rather liked Gran Torino. Im not sure if it lives up to the hype, but I found it very watchable.

I have been quite disappointed recently, The new Terminator sequel - I just couldnt get into it so didnt give it much attention, therefor found the plot very confusing. It might be better on a second watch if I give it another chance.

The Transformers sequel - Yes, its a big budget Micheal Bay film aimed at teenagers, but it was so laughably bad I found it cringeworthy. Plot holes big enough to fit Micheal Bay`s ego through were the least of the problems.

Better enjoyment was had from Outlander. A lower budget film with relatively unknown actors. Scifi meets the vikings....it was surprisingly decent.

300 was also very watcheable. Non-stop action and gore, but beatifully shot.

• 2 months later...

Just watched this years Star trek as recommenced by some members , it is great . Kirk fancies Ohura but Spock gets the girl .....great stuff a must see for trekkies and there is another one in the making.

Not a film but has anyone been watching Harpers Island on BBC3 ..........it is a very good scary series ......too late  to start watching now , but when it gets repeated on 1 or 2 I recommend you watch it.

"Long live and prosper" [Www]

[quote user="just john "]

I still think the Godfather based films, especially Ronin are great watching, so Jacques Mesrine : Killer Instinct should be worth a watch

edit, clips http://www.mesrine-movie.co.uk/

[/quote]

I have watched both Mesrine DVDs and Cassel is mesmerising. Some scenes are very violent and it feels just as I remember seeing it on TV at the time.

I love good movies.  Here are a few (in no particular order) that I think are pretty watchable;  Sexy Beast, the Good Shepherd, Michael Clayton, the Shawshank Redemption, American Beauty, the Big Lebowski, No Country for Old Men, Three Burials of Melquiades Estrada, Withnail and I, Burn After Reading, Pulp Fiction, Jackie Brown, Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas...I could go on... [:D]

• 2 months later...

I have not seen many good films lately.

Recent rubbish "the men who stare at goats" ...........george clooney , ewen mcgregor and others , I was looking forward to it , but very disappointed.

Ewen mcgregor was in "the island" shown on tv recently , a sort of remake of logans run , and I enjoyed it very much.

2010 is a long end of the world film , loads of special effects which I love . (watch out for the queen and her corgis [Www]) If it ever happens you need to stay with john cusack.

I love the wizzard of oz , so thought i would like "tin man" .........but no ......rubbish.

Keep the recommendations coming and keep warm .........merry christmas to all. 

Thanks Clair , it sounds like I will have to revisit that one , I gave up on it after the opening seemed like a news report.

I think I come by films too easily and should give them more time , but that is the age we live in.

Having said that  I stayed with a few "in burgess" , "tin man" and "stare at goats" and feel I have wasted hours of my life. [:P]

[quote user="krusty"]Thanks Clair , it sounds like I will have to revisit that one , I gave up on it after the opening seemed like a news report.[/quote]

Give it another try [:)].

Part of the appeal is the fact that the extras and some secondary characters aren't actors but Boston locals. It was filmed in real Boston neighbourhoods rather than studio lots and it all helps to give a genuine feel to the plot.

The film was not marketed in the UK as it came out at the time of Madeleine McCann's disappearance and the plot has some similarities (little girl goes missing).

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
District 9 - excellent film - a Sci Thriller and its not what you expect not at all predictable.

Inglourious Basterds - excellent film - Mr Pitt plays an excellent character - as well as the German Officer - I tip him for an Oscar!

In the 'French Cinema' thread I posted a recommendation to a recent French film 'Un Prophète', a very hard prison/Mafia movie

which you can watch online subtitled in English here:

http://ipb.quicksilverscreen.com/index.php?showtopic=168721

I use the wisevid.com links

It won best film at the London Film festival last year, and there are interviews here

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2009/dec/06/jacques-audiard-interview-a-prophet

http://www.guardian.co.uk/film/2010/jan/07/jacques-audiard-david-thomson

Having been told by several people how wonderful "Avatar" was, I went to see it last night.  What a load of old c*bl*rs!  Beautiful to look at and undoubtedly well executed but how much talent was wasted on a story which was far too long and drivel to boot?

I should not drift too far from the thread title so would say that if you love, as I do, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, then check out Jacquot de Nantes whilst you're at it.

[quote user="cooperlola"]Having been told by several people how wonderful "Avatar" was, I went to see it last night.  What a load of old c*bl*rs!  Beautiful to look at and undoubtedly well executed but how much talent was wasted on a story which was far too long and drivel to boot?

I should not drift too far from the thread title so would say that if you love, as I do, Les Parapluies de Cherbourg, then check out Jacquot de Nantes whilst you're at it.
[/quote]

"Avatar", Kings new clothes  Coops.   By the way the jazz at Les Ecuries at the family village  last night was really good; especially for an amateur band. It appears that it is going to be a regular occurrence. Entrance was 14 Euro including a snack and one drink.  Great venue, good atmosphere, good crowd and good jazz. Only trouble was driving back to 41 in thick fog. But hey, it was worth it.

Archived