Complete France Forum

Book Club?

woolybanana

Yes, why not have headings for types of books. Truth is when I got to France, due to the lack of books in english, I would read anything anyone gave me to read, what an eclectic range of books I read. Some of which I would never have picked up usually.

I look in book shops now and realise how out of touch I am and have never heard of many of the authors, so getting recommendations would be good for me too.

I read quickly in english and very slowly in french, something I should have addressed and never did, so I prefer to read in english.

Sweet17, I love the sudoku books in France. They are not so good in England. I just like hardish ones, especially the 12x12 ones.  However, that is just a pastime and not book reading.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

[quote user="JK"]This may sound unbelievable but my OH wouldn't buy Sudoku books here until her French improved. No, I can't fathom the reasoning either.[/quote]

As I have just said, they are much much better in France. There is no reason not to buy them in France at all.

So what is everyone reading 'now'?

[:$] I am reading The Constant Gardener, John le Carre and the blush is because I took it into a pub far far away last weekend as I thought that I'd be on my own for a while. In fact it didn't work out like that, everyone was there and we had a meal and I left it behind. I am feeling my usual withdrawal symptoms when I have a half read John le Carre book which I cannot get at, at will. Normally would start something else, but I have too much else on at the moment.

A lot of classics would be available free via Project Gutenberg - for example the works of Emile Zola - including Therese Raquin in English, which my (paper-based) book group much enjoyed.  I suppose it would be a bit tiresome/ink-consuming to print them out to read, though.

And the lucky Kindle-owners would be able to download such copyright-expired works free,  presumably.

Even for relatively recently-published books, such as an English translation of Irene Nemirovsky's "Suite Francaise", there are "second hand" ones available from 0.01 euros here , plus 2.99 euros postage from UK or US.

For reading in French, "Livres de Poche" editions of classic works seem often to be dirt-cheap on Amazon.fr

Angela

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

Onde de choc by Clive Cussler.

Like you Idun I am a slow reader in French and read far too fast in English, this one has been on the go for a long time, I spent a couple of weeks away where I either didnt read or read English books, on my return I was tempted to read one that I had bought in England and finished it during two nuits blanches, I reckon there might be a couple more slip in while I am plodding through Onde de choc.

My record must be my first French library book, it took me 9 months and the staff were perplexed, only allowing me prolongations of quinze jours each time untill finally someone understood and gave me an extra 3 months which clearly was possible despite the denials, tutting and loud public "ooh la la la la's" of all the other staff, I thought libraries were supposed to be quite places, not when the staff are giving out a Picard stylie public humiliation!

What did I do once I had finally finished it? why read it again of course as my French had improved so much I got far more meaning out of it, it only took another fortnight!

For those that baulk at the price of French books (me included) why not join your library? That way if a book is proposed you can be sure to get it.

Chancer wrote:

I thought libraries were supposed to be quite places, not when the staff are giving out a Picard stylie public humiliation!

I had my local librarian shout at me in the loudest of voices that filled the whole building last year. Her voice boomed, really did and she certainly startled me and made me feel very very stupid. Which she may not have been far out with, but fortunately I am wise enough to be able to laugh at my own shortcomings these days.

Why, well, a friend recommended that I read The Girl with the Dragon Tatoo. I got it out along with about 5 other books and had actually forgotten about it. I was taking the others back and took that one along with them to ask for an extention. No doing, it was on a waiting list. This was approx Thursday or Friday and it's due date back was the Tuesday. I felt suddenly torn, if it was on a waiting list, maybe it was worth reading. So I asked the very silly question 'what should I do' and she smiled and said 'read it!' so I did. Took it back on the Tuesday, and I found the next book. Now I found the writing style rather interesting then, retrospective, odd, but I still enjoyed  and was still hooked. Took it back a week later to get the next installment. Handed it  to a different librarian  and went to get the third book. Took it to the counter and she looked at me and then the booming voice came 'YOU'VE READ THEM IN THE WRONG ORDER'. I was now taking out book 2 not book 3. Needless to say everyone looked at me. I'm a bit of a lost cause, hopeless sometimes.[:D]

I still enjoyed reading these books in the wrong order, but perhaps, the right order is recommended.[Www]

[quote user="Rabbie"]As the third book is  a direct sequel to Book 2 it is one of those cases where the right order is almost an essential. Still, I am glad that you enjoyed them[:)].[/quote]

Essential, well, he goes over so much that I just thought it was an unusal way of writing. Actually it didn't affect my enjoyment of either the second or third books. I felt great loss when I found out he had died and there would be no more, such a shame.

The mods and admin are happy with it and Admin will make a new section for it. I propose we have three sections Books in English, Books in English with a French connection and books written in French.

Please say quickly if you have other thoughts.

In each section we could take a couple of days to suggest books and then vote on what is to be the book of the month, but I see no reason why we shouldn't discuss others too, as long as we stick to the respective threads for the months read.

Do we want to put a financial limit on the cost of the book of the month ?

PS - In fairness to Archant  (who run the forum)I think I should probably point out that they do have a book shop and will post to France:

http://www.aip-francebookshop.com/

I think length may be problematic because of different formats, hard back, paperback etc. Also font size really makes a difference as I know from buying books for my mother (one improvement Amazon could make IMHO is state the font size and have a page where there are examples)

How about a £10 max ? (or Euro equivalent)

[quote user="just john "]

Don't forget that Amazon also sell used books even with postage for about £3, Why not a few books in English on French subjects?

amazon.Resistance: memoirs of Occupied France

22 new and 14 used available, we could clean em out[geek]

[/quote]

If I remember correctly, JJ, the last time I ordered from Amazon UK, it was £3.99 per book to send to France.

[quote user="woolybanana"]

Yes, definitely let's put a price limit on books. What about length? I was fondling Anna Karenina this week and wondering if it was time for my annual pilgrimage, but I think it would be a tad too long somehow.

Say 250 pages?

[/quote]

Is it a hangover from my living in France pre internet and reading in english, but I always seem to go for big, thick books. More reading in them I suppose. Just been looking through the books I have here and most are aound 400 pages and quite a lot are well over that.

Also, I found that the french  hard back books I read always seemed to be in bigger print, so wouldn't that mean that there would be a few more pages 'allowed'?

[quote user="idun"]

[/quote]

The Hare with Amber Eyes. It traces the history of some minature carvings(netsuke) that the autor is left by his great uncle who lived in Japan.

The first part is in Paris  after 1870 when they were first bought by a cultured and very wealthy  member of his family.  Japanese art was very fashionable in Paris then. The netsuke are in Vienna at the moment(1899)

Archived