Complete France Forum

What would you add to this list of 'banned' phrases?

woolybanana

• Replies 72
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Living with a nutter, that was what it was called. Those words actually sum the whole thing up very nicely and it is nice to not be thinking that someone is completely off their rocker, when they are also very very bright and sharp and witty.

Amnesic short term memory in a young person is sheer unadulterated 'hell' to live with. Arguments....... you want rows about nothing, because they haven't remembered something and you don't believe them and they really are telling the truth as they haven't got a clue what you are on about. NIGHTMARE! Then you find out and the whole world sort of plonks itself into place. And no guilt, not about that, other things yes, but not that. Goodness knows we had seen too many professionals over the years who were even more clueless than I was as it turned out.

Add to that, being over active and bored stupid after a few minutes of someone droning on......... and actually, I often feel like that myself, I 'can' control myself.........just!

Following on from nomoss's iconic, there is fashion icon as in "The duchess of Cambridge is a fashion icon"....

So, how do you get from a woman who loves shopping (and I have known a fair number of them over the years) to being one of these Fashion Icons?

OTOH, I'm not that interested in the answer to my own question  as I have long lost whatever passing interest I might have had in "fashion".

Fashionable or not, I prefer Comfortable....sign of creeping old age, I suppose.

[quote user="sweet 17"]

fashion icon as in "The duchess of Cambridge is a fashion icon"....

[/quote]

I'm considered to be a bit of a fashion icon around these parts.

Mrs G is continually telling me that I'm regarded as an 'fi', so it must be true. 

'Obviously..' when used as the opening word of a sentence.

'Does this TV have a USB port ?

'Obviously this range does not..but'

'No buts you fool. If the answer had been obvious I wouldn't have asked the question. Go back to Dixons.'

Grrrr

[quote user="Rabbie"][quote user="sweet 17"]Raise the bar....if they raised the damn thing any higher, I'll have to take up pole vaulting.[/quote]Although it does make limbo dancing easier[:D][/quote]

But, Rabbie, a lot harder if you are really thirsty for a beer?

I lived in semi ignorance of lots of these phrases for manys a year. What I hate are the little motifs on things like the DVD player etc that mean nothing at all to me.Alien signs that I have never been able to work out. Maybe they are in japanese or korean, if they are, no one ever explained that to me.

I could program the old VCR though, without any problems.

[quote user="Owens88"]'Obviously..' when used as the opening word of a sentence. 'Does this TV have a USB port ? 'Obviously this range does not..but' 'No buts you fool. If the answer had been obvious I wouldn't have asked the question. Go back to Dixons.' Grrrr[/quote]

The vast majority of experts (talking heads) that are paraded on television for their knowledge precede everything with "obviously".

Well mate if everything you say is obvious then either you consider the audience to be cretins or they are paying you for nothing more than to waste program time talking about the obvious perhaps you are the brother in law of the producer.

[quote user="Rabbie"]Another one which irritates me is IMHO. if your opinion is so humble why bother to tell us what it is? It just smacks of false modesty to me.[/quote]

I had never really thought about it but IMNSHO you are quite correct!

Another one I must stop using.

Archived