Complete France Forum

Cassoulet, David Lowe again, V funny

Chancer

Thanks for that Christine, I have just watched all the clips I could of him in that series and others, now finally I know what it is that the French women are hoping for when I speak, and that I have been failing them, I am going to make hay from now on [:D][;-)]

Some of his humour goes straight over the head of the French, I watched a clip of him as one of the French commentators of the royal wedding (actually the only bit of the wedding that I have seen) he asked if they knew why the princes wore red uniform jackets, they didnt so he explained that it was to stop the bloodstains showing and to keep up morale, and then dryly added its the same reason that the French wear brown uniform trousers!!! I howled with laughter but the co-commentators did not understand at all.

Idun

Whilst its a very funy clip and I shall watch it again, dont fall into the trap of thinking these camera caché shows are anything but entertainment, candid camera they aint, if they were you would not hear anything and the images would be nowhere near broadcast quality.

I could go on and explain more but it tends to spoil it for those, myself included who enjoy clips like that one, jsy enjoy it for what it is, pretty true to life but staged.

Talking of the french dry humour or stupid humour in some cases which I do not understand, my son who is a regular cinema goer was the only one to laugh out loud when watching Paul when it came out.He said the dubbed version did not match what the characters were doing and he knew their style of comedy. His friends did not "get it". They think Benny Hill is funny for goodness sakes!

Yes I enjoyed that one also Christine.

I have just found that there are 5 or 6 videos of the marché blag, including a couple where BFMTV interview the shoppers and traders as to what they think of the English guys stand.

This one http://www.youtube.com/user/Bellechaurienne#p/u/0/5PouRmgkj88 hopefully is the LP version of the first clip, I love the way they all seem to do that No No No No No! and headshaking bit, I agree with Idun that even though they know they are being filmed they really are uptight and cannot see the humour of it, there is one sparkling exception though, the papi with the flat hat, he knows that l'anglais se moque d'eux, he has to wipe the tears from his eyes with a mouchoir, it looks like it made his day, my money is on the fact that he was not born a Chaurienne.

[quote user="Val_2"] His friends did not "get it". They think Benny Hill is funny for goodness sakes![/quote]

Well obviously "his" friends are not on their own. 

"But in television he found a form that played to his strengths, allowing him a format that included live comedy and filmed segments, with him at the focus of almost every segment. It was to prove one of the great success stories of television comedy, keeping Hill a star for nearly four decades, generating impressive revenues for Thames TV, and remaining a cult series in much of the world long after Hill's death."    Courtesy of wilkipedia

Also Chancer, the interpretation of cassoulet I learnt from French Collegues while working in France was nothing to do with Stew. [:D]

Archived