Complete France Forum

Replacing toilet at a different height

val douest

We are soon having a new floor fitted upstairs which will raise the level by 20mm.  We are taking this opportunity to replace the old and somewhat manky toilet; the new floor will be laid before the new wc is installed, which apart from looking better should help with the noise insulation which is somewhat embarrassingly lacking at the moment! In order to connect the new wc to the soil pipe will we have to enlarge the hole through the wall, or are there any kind of flexible couplings available which will allow for the difference?  Any advice welcome!

We used a 100mm white, flexible pipe - I think that this would be suitable for you for inside use.  I have seen flexible grey fittings of 50mm or less but not 100mm - does not mean of course that they do not exist. Bewrae though that 100mm white is a slightly different size to 100mm grey - thickness of wall ?

I would go into my local plumbers merchant and ask for their help after having a good root around the shelves to see what they have.

John

not

Hi. I had the same problem in the U.K. I resolved it by getting a new connector from B&Q , the connector is slightly offset in the middle so that when you revolve it at the toilet end you can vary the height to connect to the outflow pipe. I never had to move the outlet, just fit the new connector. I have never looked for one in France so I couldn't advise on who would sell one. The connecting size would probably need to be different from the U.K. so importing one in would solve one problem but give you another!. Hope this helps.   

Consider a suspended loo; Brico Depot list these at very reasonablew prices;. The boxing then conceals whatever you have had to do to make it fit!

Plus, of course, since it is fastened to the wall, rather than the floor, cuts down the undesired noise quite a bit!

I have seen the sort of connectors pip24 means in Point P, although you might need a 22.5 degree angle piece as well, all of which will add to the projection into the room (or out into the great outdoors) which might well just exchange one set of problems for another.

The flexi pipes are good but they, too, add to the length.

p

Dont forget with a WC suspendu you can set the pan to whatever height that you want to match your existing soilpipe.

Most of them seem to come with a UK size 110mm outlet which for use in France requires a 110 to 100mm adaptor which are usually hidden away somewhere in BricoDepot because no-one knows what they are for.

The vendeur told me that I was the first person to buy one, he had sold loadsof WC suspendus to plombiers but they never came back for an adaptor, I had to show him the relative sizes of the pipes to prove to him, he concluded that there must be a lot of customers (of the plombiers) out there with bodged up evacuation as these same plombiers normally returned to buy loads of silicone cartouches[:D]

My property is an old bar café. I have to repoint the side wall which has generally deteriorated all over due to the lack of cement used after WW1 however  all of the pointing is missing from the side wall (you can even pull out some bricks) up to a level of 1.5 meters high where it was used as a pissoir, and still sometimes is by passers by, - old habits die hard for some.

Archived