Complete France Forum

Patio Awnings

EmilyA

We are thinking of putting a patio awning up - probably about 3m wide. Went off today to the largest DIY store in local big town and found a meagre selection stuffed in a corner and nobody interested in trying to sell us anything. Has anybody got any recommendations on where to get one? Are they very difficult to fit? The house is built of a fairly rough and uneven stone (schist).

Thanks

Em

We went to Monsieur Store and were very happy with them.  We negotiated hard (and found that by accident we had asked for more than we had thought, so finished with a VERY good deal!)  They do a good after-sales service as well.

Are you thinking of having an electric control?  The cost of this is fairly marginal and in hot weather I am so glad we went for it.  Saves all that puffing and panting when winding back up again.

Chrissie (81)

Our store in France is electric too; a really good idea. We got it fitted by a small local company, but we did see some in Leroy Merlin. They would have worked out a lot cheaper, but as ours is long and heavy and had to be fitted on a very high beam, we couldn't DIY it. Wish we'd got a good deal like yours, Chrissie; even with 10% off it was very expensive! We find we use it all year round; it's very well-used in winter, as we were retreating indoors for lunches, as the low sun was too hot for us. I hadn't heard of wind sensors; wish I had, as we do get big gusts at times.

Brico Depot usually have them 3m deep and 3.50 (I think) wide, plain or motorized. However when I went to get one yesterday they said they had none in stock, and no idea when they were getting any more in. Sounds like the manufacturer is on summer break.

p

Funnily enough we found those in our local Bricomarche today. The 3.5m one is electric with push buttons not a zapette and is 286€ which seems like quite a good deal. We would have to get it fitted though as the stone walls of the house are anything but straight! I am guessing about 100€ for fitting?

Archived