Complete France Forum

Irons

Jo

Not sure if this is the right place, but I couldn't find one that said "really stupid things to do...."

I bought a new steam iron, filled it with water and heated it up ready to go.... then realised there was a protective coating on the sole plate now firmly welded to the plate!! Is there and easy way to remove it? Have tried heating the iron again to make it soft enough to try and scrape off, just got burnt fingers and a gooy mess!!!!

No, this is obviously a protective coating designed to protect the plate before use, it only covers part of the plate where the holes are I suppose to keep them clear. I just didn't think to look[:$] as you say, they don't normally have one!

I hope that someone has some ideas, I don't. I have damaged an iron base or two, trying to get some nylon, from stuff that sticks easily like a track suit or pettitcoat.

Do you not feel cheeky and go and ask what they were playing at? I cannot help thinking you don't have much to lose.

Don't know if it will work, Jo, but, when in a fix, it's worth having a try, right?

If you can get hold of some banana leaves, iron them!  Yes, you'll get a pungent smell and the leaves will turn black but it MIGHT clean up the gunge.

Let us know how you get on, please. 

Don't think I have other ideas but banana leaves are used widely in the tropics (where bananas grow in abundance) for cleaning iron sole plates.

And, no, this is not a joke told against the Woolybanana!

I hesitated to say that's a "real cool" idea, Chance, as it'll be a dreadful pun, but you know what I mean.

I managed to get candle wax on a favourite skirt recently and I froze it in the freezer, chipped off most of the wax, then ironed the skirt with absorbent kitchen paper laid on the stain.

Have a job detecting where the wax was after that.

So, freezing could certainly be an option.

In the past I have used an iron cleaning stick, it looks rather like a tube of lipstick ! Use it when the iron is hot and the gunge fizzles off, you will need to rub the iron over a piece of scrap fabric afterwards to make sure that all the muck has disappeared.

Warning........it smells awful, do not inhale fumes![blink][+o(]

Well, stuck it in the freezer then attacked it with one of those blades you use to get paint off glass[blink] seems to have got most of it off but there's still a slight smear, a quick search of the area hasn't turned up any banana leaves[8-)] -if only I'd known I'd have done it in season - I have been out and about today trying to buy one of those iron cleaning sticks, so far without success[:(] any idea of what I'd ask for in french?????

[quote user="sweet 17"]

I hesitated to say that's a "real cool" idea, Chance, as it'll be a dreadful pun, but you know what I mean.

I managed to get candle wax on a favourite skirt recently and I froze it in the freezer, chipped off most of the wax, then ironed the skirt with absorbent kitchen paper laid on the stain.

Have a job detecting where the wax was after that.

So, freezing could certainly be an option.

[/quote]

freezing works with chewing gum and bubble gum.

but i dont think it would work on a " semelle ceramique ".[;-)]

Archived