Broken window lock mech.

Jonzjob

This morning SWMBO came and told me that she couldn't open the laundry room window. After a bit of a struggle I managed it.

It's one of the older type of locks where the 2 window frames are opened together. One face has a 1/2 round recess and the other the convex to fit it. It's then locked by turning the handle and pushing long bolts up and down into the outer frame.

I removed the handle and mechanism cleaned it out with some IPA (not the beer)  and tried again. That's when a bit fell out and showed the reason for the stiffness in turning. The square drive has broken. So off to the local brico to be given a huge Gallic shrug and an intake of breath through  the teeth!!

This afternoon we will be going out to a couple of builders merchants in Carcassonne to see if we can find a replacement, but I'm not holding my breath. So, has anyone any ideas of where I m ay be able to get one of these things?? It would be silly to have to get a new pair of windows just because the lock has broken! Dammed expensive to me-thinks??

How about looking at your local Troc.

I needed a filter for a Bialetti (sp?) type coffee pot. I took it to our local, very small quincaillerie. They measured the appropriate section, found one in a catalogue and have ordered it, with luck it will arrive any day now.

Do you have a similar, old style hardware shop near you?

We possibly do, but the first place we will try is the place that made my workshop windows and doors. They have a good reputation.

There's also a quancaillerie near by too. I hadn't thought of that one, ta!

At the moment all I have done is to take the one from our back room and fit that. The bottom bolt just drops into the frame hole, so the only way anyone could break in is to smash the bottom of the hardwood frame out.

Ta everyone, I need look no furver 'cause I went into a konkalery and they had them on the shelf, so now I have replaced both of them in the house. [8-|]

Working on the principle that they are both the same age!! [:-))]

Job jobbed!!