Hardboard?

Jonzjob

I just checked the bills for material I bought for this house, having remembered I bought a sheet of hardboard to raise the level of a tiled worktop to match a wooden one.

In 2012 I bought it in AKI in Figueres, the name in Spain for the German company OBI.

I don't recall why I bought it in Spain, but probably it was because I couldn't find it in France.

On the bill it is described as MDF 2440 x 220 x 2.5. It is 2.5mm thick, and looks exactly like what is called hardboard in the UK - shiny on one side and textured on the other.

The OBI store in Carcassone is now Weldom, unfortunately does not sell the same things as OBI did, and I believe all the OBI stores in France and the AKI stores in Spain and Portugal were taken over by Leroy Merlin some years back.

The nearest OBI stores now are in Switzerland[:(]

One of the places we checked to see if we could find it was Weldom. They had the MDF, but it was the actual MDF. The bit that I looked at was 1m X 50cm and cost 7.50€ and 8 times that is NO WAY!

I'll go back into Audoise d'Bois just down the road from the rip-off and see if they recognise either name?

I just remenbered where I have seen some in the house. The back of a pikky frame, so now I have an example to take in.. I know the guys in Audoise d'Bois  so they will definatley help if they can.

Yes, Isorel (Fr) = Masonite (US) = Hardboard (UK)

It is available but when I tell you that it is priced per m2 then you will know that 1m2 of an inferior thickness (2.5mm) from Casto will cost you as much as an 8' by 4' sheet of 1/8" hardboard in the UK [:(]

Bricodepot sell it in full sized sheets and surprisingly its not too dear. Quality is ok too.

Someone paid me actual money to sheet over the inside walls of a rotten caravan for them, which they then wallpapered. Total bodge, but whatever....the customer is always right, apparently.