UK-France business

Chrism

So far I have really only seen posts on here relating to one one might call 'personal banking', so maybe I am in the wrong place, but here goes!

I have a business in England which I want to expand by opening a 'branch' in France. I will need to make purchases in England and France, take cash/card payments in both, etc.

I bank with HSBC in England, and receive excellent service. They have a French 'arm', CCF, but there are no branches within 20 miles of my proposed business, so banking of cash and cheques would be difficult.

Do the French have a competitive market as far as the supply of 'swipe' machines are concerned, as we do in the UK?

I would prefer to pay my staff in England, and continue to do my accounting there, and be taxed there. Is this possible? What about VAT/TVA?

All advice considered !!

Many thanks in anticipation

Chris

>Do the French have a competitive
>market as far as the
>supply of 'swipe' machines are
>concerned, as we do in
>the UK?

France is a land of little competition at the best of times and the little that there is is usually heavily regulated. In banking there is virtually none as most banks offer the same services at similar cost. By all means shop around though.

>I bank with HSBC in England,
>and receive excellent service. They
>have a French 'arm', CCF,
>but there are no branches
>within 20 miles of my
>proposed business, so banking of
>cash and cheques would be
>difficult.

Chris,

We'll be moving to the Herault and have opened a account with Britline. We're not too worried about the distance because as it is now we already are used to doing all our banking online and Britline offers this as well. Does you arm of CCF overs that as well? That would maybe solve your problem for a part.

>I would prefer to pay my
>staff in England, and continue
>to do my accounting there,
>and be taxed there. Is
>this possible? What about VAT/TVA?

I know some lawyers and accountents give people the advice to set up a business in the UK and live in France so I guess that might be possible. You can check with the French chamber of commerce in the UK, they have a brochure called 'Setting up a business in France' and offer advice as well. http://www.ccfgb.co.uk/en/Market/bookshop.asp

--
Tink
Sacramento, CA
USA

>
>Do the French have a competitive
>market as far as the
>supply of 'swipe' machines are
>concerned, as we do in
>the UK?
>
>>
>
>>Chris

Chris,
I enquired at Credit Agricole recently re. credit card facility for my clients.

I was amazed at how competetive a price they quoted me.
I can't remember the exact figures, but the interest rate to be charged to my customers was only 0.86% + I think a monthly fee of about 15 per month. There was a one off fee for the machine also, bit I am not sure of that price.

I thought it was an excellent deal, because in the UK I think its about 3 or 4% per transaction.
I said that I would use the facility if & when required, up till now, not one customer has asked to pay by card.
They said the facility could be used to take cards & transactions
over the phone from any card.

I suggest you give them a ring.

Bonne chance

David .