Egg offers accounts in France .......

sueg

Egg is hoping to copy its success in the UK and has started offering current accounts, savings accounts, debit cards etc in France. What disappoints me is that Egg is also copying the French way of doing things re charges ie they are making an annual charge for debit cards.
I was hoping they would break new ground and not make these charges thereby throwing down the gauntlet to other French Banks to follow suit. Just call me overly optimistic!

Sue

>What disappoints me
>is that Egg is also
>copying the French way of
>doing things re charges ie
>they are making an annual
>charge for debit cards.

Most of the Egg services are free though they are with several other French banks also. Egg's charges for "extra" services are steep: incoming transfers from overseas are one example.

With the fee for debit cards they fall foul of the usual absurd French protectionism that a) regulates the minimum fees that can be charged for many services and b) pays heed to the other absurd French concept of "concurrence deloyale" - disloyal competition - which makes it a virtual crime to charge sigificantly less for something than your direct competitors do.

Sounded pretty good, they told me to open an account on the web site so off I went. The web site said that I would have to send a cheque for 150 to open an account so I wrote to them telling them if they wanted my custom I was not going to do that, here is the reply:

Bonjour,

Nous avons bien reu votre message qui a retenu toute notre attention.

Nous vous informons qu'un dpt minimum de 150 euros doit tre effectivement vers
l'ouverture de votre compte.

Si vous ne souhaitez pas raliser ce versement, nous regrettons de ne pas pouvoir
vous donner satisfaction.

A bientt.

Nicolas
Service Commercial Egg

So basically I think they can go take a run and jump!!!!!!!