Expo's

Biereventre

Not sure if this is the right section to put this in but I can't find one on 'working in France'.
We are moving over April/July 2003 and part of our income will (hopefully) come from selling Arts, crafts, and Upholstery.
Does anyone know how you get to hear about 'Expo's' being organised in your area? Are there bodies that arrange these? We are on the borders of 86, 87 and 36.
Any help would be appreciated
Paul

>Not sure if this is the
>right section to put this
>in but I can't find
>one on 'working in France'.
>
>We are moving over April/July 2003
>and part of our income
>will (hopefully) come from selling
>Arts, crafts, and Upholstery.
>Does anyone know how you get
>to hear about 'Expo's' being
>organised in your area? Are
>there bodies that arrange these?
>We are on the borders
>of 86, 87 and 36.
>
>Any help would be appreciated
>Paul

Hi Paul,

I will be doing the same as yourself when we can finally move - just minus the upholstry. From the information I have gathered the tourist office for region/locality and the city halll/council should be able to pass that sort of information onto you. There also should be either a local or regional equivalent to what we in the states usually refer a "Chamber of Commerce" (I think the UK Eqivalent is the same).

In the area of Normandy that we have targeted, all of these things are available and we found them listed under the local government and tourist sites for the area (usually under "Economy"). Luckily enough they have an English equivalent of the site as my French is quite rusty!

You also might want to talk to them about whether or not your area has programs in place for Micro Enterprises (which would include a crafts business; I have been told even if we did nothing more than have a market stall or a small shop we would still qualify as a small business). In our preferred area of Calvados the Marie and Council have a number of programs set up to help such businesses, including grants, free business advice and help setting up the business...all done in the name of helping boost the local economy. Its one of the benefits of paying French taxes apparently...but not without the usual bureaucratic idiosyncracies I am sure. But there seem to be a number of good programs in place which would be of use to you but it does depend on where you live.

Good Luck and I would love to know how you get on.

Warm Regards,

Lisa