Social Security - sort it here or there?

Coco

Well I've now entered that minefield that you permanent residents have long talked about. Paying taxes and social security in France.

We're about to move within the next six weeks and I thought that it may be easier to try and get everything sorted from this end (I shall continue to work for my UK employer from France. I do the company's PAYE - not that that gives me any kind of advantage in knowing what to do!! and the invoicing/book-keeping etc). However, every time I speak to someone at the Contributions Agency I get a different answer. I have now gone full circle with the "helpful" leaflets, having received two copies of each!!! The thing that worries me is that sometimes, when I get talking to these people they don't realy sound as though they have a clue about the French system.

I'm now thinking of just using my brother-in-laws address in the UK for tax and NI purposes, just until we get moved and settled and then try again from France (within the first 183 days of living there).

For the first year or so my husband will not be working at all, so apparently as far as health cover is concerned that is reasonably simple in that he needs an E106 for a non-worker. However, he wants to secure his state pension so we think he should be paying voluntary contributions. Again, I couldn't get a straight answer from the Contributions Agency. Does anyone here know if this is so and how much?

Any comments/suggestions please!!!???!!!

Coco

Have you contacted the Inland revenue international division re your queries.Do not expect them to answer questions relating to French legislation but they will be able to inform you of your tax liability while working in France for a UK employer and about your NI contributions Only the French equivilant of the inland revenue will be able to answer queries re tax liability etc in France.Re your husband my understanding is that if continues to pay voluntary class 3 contributions then he will receive a full UK old age pension at age 65.Have you applied for a pension forcast it may not be worth his while paying dependant on his age

Coco,

Have you seen this site yet:
http://www.canam.fr/index_canam.html

Under "Objectif Entreprise" there's a link to "Calcul cotisations et IR". If you can get a friendly French person to help you through it, it tells you how much you should expect to pay in each year.

Each year is very different - for us, in year 1 we'd keep 95% of our income, year 2 it's down to 69%, and year 3 it's down to 52%.

You wonder how French people survive on the salaries they get!

Good luck,
Ab.

Dear Coco

Will be moving,like you, in approx 12 weeks and in similar situation as you and your husband, although neither of us will be working, initially. The E106, as you say, will cover health issues...up to 70% and only for a max of 2 years, you must have top-up insurnace to cover any differnece.
Like your husband I intend maintaining NI contribution to ensure the state pension. If he has enough class 1 contributions made then he can opt for class 3 ( 2001 / 2002 rate = 6.75 pw) this can be paid Quarterly or annually, by prior arrangement.

if you look in 'Living France' magazine you will see ads for some very good books who explain it all in 'lay persons' language.

Good Luck

MK/GK