For those of you who rent your property out

Teamedup

For those of you who live in the UK and rent your property out could you please explain something to me......

About 4 years ago we were in Isgny in Normandy and I happened to call into the local gendarmerie.... I needed some information and was chatting away to the gendarmes. Well they told me about a house that was on the other side of the road a little further along from the gendarmerie. They 'suspected' that this house which was owned by english folk was being rented out to other english folk and was not being done so within the laws of France. They even told me that they had called at the house and each time no one was admitting that the house was being rented out, but that the people in the house were friends or family.....which ofcourse they might well have been. So what on earth was all this about.... Has anyone idea how this was illegal in any way.....apart from the obvious and that is that foreigners and perhaps even french people too should be registered in some way with the gendarmes when visiting somewhere.

These gendarmes were extremely proud that because of the thorough checking up on people the 'red brigade' or some other 1970's terrorists had been found in the region.

It was all very strange really......

Hi TeamedUp

I don't live in the UK and we don't rent out our property, although we do live close to Isigny (le Buat, not sur Mer). I suspect the area of suspicion might be to do with tax evasion. However, the gendarmes in our area seem to have so little to do that they get interested in all sorts of speculative crimes.

>These gendarmes were extremely proud that
>because of the thorough checking
>up on people the 'red
>brigade' or some other 1970's
>terrorists had been found in
>the region.

for those of us with nothing to conceal it's reassuring to know that the gendarmes keep such a watchful eye on individual properties.

samm