Reimbursement of Uk tax

SheilaG

I must admit that I am a wee touch thick when it comes to taxes etc!
Both my husband and I are in full time employment in the UK. I have been told that if we were to move to France permanently we would be due a tax rebate and possibly a rebate on NI contributions. I have contacted the tax office who tried to explain how it works, but came off the phone none the wiser. I am aware that the amount you would get back depends on your tax code. But is there a specific time during the financial year when you would most likely to get a bigger refund ie. better at beginning or end of financial year.
I hope someone can enlighten me

Sheila

I've just applied for a refund and its not too complicated. As I understand it, your tax code, which defines how much is deducted each week from your salary, is calculated based on the whole tax year from 5th April to 5th April? So if you stop working and don't claim unemplyment benefit or anything like that, you will be due a refund based on the fact that you've paid too much per week because you didn't work for the whole of the tax year. Your tax office should sent you a P50 form to fill in and send back along with your P45 which your employer will give you. Then they'll calculate how much you've overpaid and refund the difference. I hope this helps you.
Sheila

If I were you I would go into the tax office and discuss it with someone face to face. Prepare your questions before you go.In my experience they are keen to help. Take a notebook and write down what they tell you. Pat.

We have recently moved to France (July) and I had a nice rebate from the taxman (nearly 4 figures) but the amount depends on how much tax you pay/what you earn.

You don't get any NI rebate, because its still contributing to your pension, you can opt to continue contributing to that when you are living abroad.

• 10 months later...
If only I'd found out about that months ago Gay. I had been having a battle with NTL who never cancelled my internet account when I left the UK and were taking money from my bank account, even though I had cancelled the direct debit, for 4 months before I realised! I only had their 0800 number, which I couldn't dial from France and they never replied to any emails. Until I threatened them with BBC Watchdog that is, then I very promptly got a cheque for 160!!! If I'd known about this site I could have phoned them ages ago.

Coco