TVA

petgor

We are installing or at least having a local French company install a new boiler. When the chap arrived to give me an estimate he asked me whether the house was my principal place of residence. I answered in the negative because of course at the moment my English home is my ppr. However, someone said that as I pay all French property tax in full, I can claim that this is my ppr because of course it is my only property there. As the difference between the two is 5% - 19.6%.

Can anybody offer any advice?

Many thanks

Peter

Well AFAIK this sort of thing is declared on your income tax...it isn't the TVA you reclaim, but there is a reduction on income tax for certain sorts of work done in the home under certain conditions.

I have never heard anyone trying to deduct such a thing from their taxe fonciere.

The TVA should be 5,5% regardless of whether your live there or not full time. You might find that the plumber is a bit reluctant to let you have it at 5,5% because he won't get reimbursed by the tax people himself for at least 18 months.

My husband has just read my reply and wonders if this is for a secondary boiler or is in a gte rather than the main holiday home,which is then a business and you will have to pay full TVA on and then claim back through your letting business.

• 1 year later...