Tax Habitation

Connie

I have recently been told that in an English book called Living in France that when a British Resident living in France and has no other property either in France or UK, when they reach the age of 60 they do not have to pay the above Tax, I have tried to find out without success if this is so, can anyone help please?
I have beenh to the Tax office but they just shrugged thyeir shoulders. In another book - Buying and Renovating Property in France, it says in there,providing that this is our only residence we can apply for a reduction, does anyone know anything about this?

You might get a better response if you posted under a more appropriate section; this is meant for those offering a useful link, not those looking for one.
http://vosdroits.service-public.fr/ARBO/1510010108-FXIMP146.html
gives details of exonerations, I think you would have to be on less than 7042 per annum and living either alone or only with others in the same circumstances.

The problem with books like those is that things can change quickly - both of the books named contain quite a bit of out-of-date information.

There are reductions on habitation and foncires taxes for people of certain ages, of limited resources, or with certain handicaps. The system, typically French, is complicated, and you really need to discuss your own situation with the local htel des impots.

Looking on the back of our forms, habitation tax can be reclaimed in part by those on low incomes, acording to a complicated table, though the 60-plus age rule only seems to apply now in DOM (i.e. non-mainland France). The 'proprites bties' part of the taxe foncire can be reclaimed by those in receipt of certain supplementary benefits, the severely handicapped, and people over 75 subject to certain conditions. There seems to be a 100 reduction for certain people between 65 and 75.

The above depends on my inexpert interpretation of the sort of French notes that would win no awards for brevity or plain language, so I may have got it very wrong.

Will (50)