Tax declaration 2002-2003 = double the UK tax?

robhaslam

A company in Paris helped me file my tax declaration for 2002 and 2003.

From Sept 2002->Dec2003 I was on a contract away from the UK where I was being paid the hotel cost, 50 a day allowance for eating, telephone calls, etc. and return travel to the UK.

All of these were tax free in the UK (reclaimed on expenses)... however all of these have beeen included directly onto my salary in France (the hotel cost about 25,000 for the year, the 50 a day amounted to about 12,000, travel costs were about 10,000.

The end result is that I have a tax bill for 2003 of 22,000 which I must pay in September, on a taxable income of 70,000. There may also be extra charges for "late filing" the 2002 tax declaration.

My salary is about half this amount, as is the tax I paid in the UK.

The questions are;
i) Is this REALLY how it works in france in terms of these expenses?
ii) Should I be responsible to sort this out or is it my company?
iii) In 2002 I worked from September to Dec 2002, so I don't understand why am still elegible to pay tax for this year.
iv) How does it work for reclaiming the tax I paid in the UK? Do I get it before I can pay the Frence tax?

Any help would really be appreciated. I am very worried about the whole situation as there is a posibility that I will have to go substantially into debt as a result of this.

Regards,

-Rob-

I believe if you pay your tax to UK. then it could be cheaper as although you pay to UK.we have agreements re double taxation.Ask your accontant if that is possible or check with another expert accountant.you may still have to declare in France also if you are resident for more than 183 days per year.