La Poste

kesi

Having spent an hour trying to open an account as a non resident I now know what I need for my next attempt except for one minor detail. I have been asked for an attestation from our British Mayor or police saying I'm of good character! Has anyone else come across this and if so how do I go about getting it?
Here's hoping!

Kesi

We opened an account with La Poste a couple of months ago and they only asked for copies of our birth and marriage certificates. Saying that they later asked for a note from our Notaire saying that we had bought a property in France. We have had two problems. The first is that they had trouble accepting that my surname is not the same as my husband's. After much huffing and puffing they decided to accept it, but everything we have received so far addresses me with his name. The second problem is that they won't give us our cheque book and bank cards until we are permanently resident. Which means that we can put as much money as we want into the account, but take out nothing unless it is by direct debit. This form of banking seems to favour them rather than us. Luckily we will be resident later on this year but we wait with anticipation to see what name is on the cheque book.