Short term investment?

Carolski

We are transferring the proceeds of our house sale due to the reasonable exchange rate at present to our new French bank account (Caisse D'epargne)next Tuesday. Can anyone tell us what sort of interest rate we might expect bearing in mind we don't want to tie up our funds. We have tried to find this information on their website unsuccessfully.

We have also considered (and are still considering), doing this through HIFX( done lots of research and are registered with them), but as the day looms, we're a little concerned as there seems to be no mention of insurance or any form of underwriting in the event of them going 'belly up'! sure they wont, but am sure you'll understand when it's your life savings in one go. Bit scary. Reassurance needed please!

Carole

The rates offered by French Banks are pretty poor. They are also quite keen on trying to sell you unsuitable products. When I asked Soc Gen for a resting place for our funds while we were building they suggested a Stock Exchange Bond which was neither secure nor accessible. Take Care!

The usual answer to your kind of problem, which I used myself, is www.INGdirect.fr, which offers an internet based account which bolts onto your Cheque Account. It currently pays about 3% gross 2% net, which is pretty pathetic, but will almost certainly be higher than the High Street offering.

By the way they are currently offering 7% gross for your first two months so if you move very quickly.....