no bank charges

ChezShells

do you have an account with no monthly charges, if so who with, we need to open an account asap and being used to paying bills with no charges i dont like the idea of having to pay to pay if you know what i mean, if this account doesn't exist what can i expect to pay per month for payment of bills

Thanks
Lee

All banks charge in France as far as I know. We're with Credit Agricole and pay 6,27 euros a month which seems a lot but there are no charges on top of that and this fee includes our debit card, which again you have to pay for in France (normally approx 35-40 euros as I recollect. We have found having a debit card essential for 24 hour petrol, Moneo and the occasional time when our English credit cards refuse to work...

Nick O'D

i dont pay ANY bank charges to my banque populaire BUT - it took a great deal of effort and i am not their favourite person. first of all i signed up for a debit card (in all my innocence) . then, when i found out they charged for this, i cut it in two and gave it back to them. they sent a few letters telling me how i would regret this and suffer all sorts of inconvenience but i got away with it.
then i signed up for a carrefour carte passe not realising that this is in fact a payment card and not like a nectar card at sainsburys. not only would i have to pay 6eurosish every year to carrefour (which i didnt really mind, especially since they gave me a 10 euro bon d'achat as a joining gift) but yet again the bank had the nerve to take a wodge for setting up the annual direct debit!!!! have just cut up said card and returned it to carrefour - hope i dont get charged for that too!!!
THEN i noticed a 13euro50 charge on my bank statement with the description "carnet de bord". i worked out that this was for some bumph they had sent me - a list of all the money i had spent over the year with such really unuseful additions as the average amount for all the cheques i had written (about 8 in the whole year). to cut a long story short, i phoned, asked for rendezvous, was asked why, explained and was told to send the document back saying i didnt want it and the amount would be deducted - no need for rdv - did this. then got letter asking me to make a rendezvous!!!! this turned out to be a grilling session - how much do i earn? why doesnt my pension get paid into their account every month? why havent i got a carte bleue? i promised all these things would happen when england changes over to the euro and i think i convinced her but she kept saying that my account wasnt "interessant" for the bank. silly me - forgot that we were meant to be boosting their profits!!! thought it was just so we could have standing orders for EDF and wanadoo and waterbills!! anyway, i think i got away with it. will continue to use english credit cards and nationwide hole in the wall to top up french account, making sure that i keep just enough in it to stay in the black!!!
hard work but rather satisfying in the end!!!
i think this really belongs in the finance section but it started off as a reply.
mean jean

• 3 weeks later...
We use a carte blue deferre with La Poste. It means we have all the advantages of a credit card - although it is paid off each month automatically - we are using someone elses money for a month which makes up for the bank charges.

I then transfer money through card in the hole - Nationwide/Credit Agricole. I have the internet and always look up www.x-rates.com - I never now trade unless it says 1.50 to the pound. This is regular as clockwork - everytime the British have a bank holiday or half term or any holiday the rates goes up. If the internet says 1.50/ you normally get 1.49 ish.

I believe that AXA have a bank which has 15 charges a year with no cards etc.

Yours Jan