UK Chip and PIN cards

Barrye

Does anyone know if we will be able to use our UK chip and PIN cards in the self service petrol pumps in the future. When we were over a couple of weeks ago I nearly ran out of fuel on a Sunday afternoon as all the pumps ( SuperU and Intermarche) rejected my UK cards!

If not how easy is it to get a French card when you don't have an address in France?

Thanks

Barry

The PIN side of UK Chip and Pin is slowly coming into use in France. It requires the card readers to be changed for new models, so it will probably some years before 100% acceptance, especially in petrol pumps!

I suspect it would be virtually impossible to get a French card without a French bank account, which is itself pretty difficult, unless you can demonstrate that you have or are actively in the process of obtaining a property/ address.

No doubt dozens of people will now appear to tell us that they have hard a card for years.

LAST EDITED ON 12-Aug-04 AT 02:46 PM (BST)

Have a word with the person ahead of you at the pumps. I've used my card a couple of times (once for a Brit and once for a young French couple) who didn't have a card and I've fueled them 20 worth in exchange for hard cash.

It's probably not worth the hassle of a French account now, unless you're going to make use of it.