Percentage Reduction on Asking Price

[quote user="sweet 17"]

No sign, so far, of any freefall in CMIn fact, I 'm a little surprised at how robust the market seems to be and also how active!

[/quote]

Hello Sweet

Unless you are a Parisian owning a second home according to the locals!!

According to an immoblier I was talking to recently, a lot of French property owners are undecided vendors who put their property on sale at a higher than valuation price to test the market. If it does not sell they are not bothered as they are in no hurry to move, if at all.

With the current softening in the property market it will take a while for vendors to adjust to the new reality and meanwhile prospective purchasers need to be careful not to overpay at what is at, or near to the top of the current property market cycle.

Once again many thanks for all the replies, the thread seems to have opened a lively debate.

For the record with our own situation, I took Pierre's advice and split the difference between what we originally offered, and the vendors counter-offer, the vendors accepted our revised offer, which works out to a 9% reduction on the original asking price. We also negotiated to have a few appliances and furniture thrown in the price.

Having read the links Ernie kindly posted, I must say even if prices do start falling in the next 2 or 3 years, we are not prepared to stay in the UK for that period of time, just to save on the asking price. We can purchase our property in France, knowing we sold our modest 3-bedroom semi in the UK, at the height of the UK property, and turned it into a detached 3-bedroom sous-sol, with a large chunk of land in France. Just a pity we did not do it last summer, with the exchange rate somewhere near 1.45. [:(]