tax on civil service pension lump sums

Edgarj

[quote]With respect what you have posted is goboltigoog[/quote]

Hi  B a F,

I wouldn't go as far as to say Les Laurier's talking g**gook!  I have been reading through some books again, in particular Blevins Franks Guide to living in France.  What Les Laurier says is in keeping with the advice given in that, and other books.

I think as you mentioned earlier, don't offer any more information than requested.  Also, as long as the tax inspectors take the view that UK Gov pension is only taxed in UK I should be OK.

Regards,

Bob

Boiling A Frog

The postings I have made regarding the taxation of payments of a commutated pension lump sum, reflect the advice received by myself and independently by my then employers, in both cases this advice was paid for and, given that it was independently obtained, I believed it to be “the best advice”. As did my employers who arranged for me to be paid the day before I arrived in France, prior to the normal automated pay run, in order to avoid taxation in France of the UK tax free sum.

Unless the French taxation legislation has changed in the last 18 months I still believe it to be “best advice”. If the legislation has changed perhaps you would be good enough to point us to this new legislation.

I have also quoted the rules on tax residency as stated in the PKF book “A Guide to Taxation in France”, Redcap also states that this is in line with the Blevins Franks guide, it is also repeated in the Depinna “Guide to Taxation in France 2004”.

If you are saying that it is wrong then I am sure that I and other posters would be grateful if you could point us in the direction of the definitive text to which you refer.

I note that your personal experience was that you were told that you had to be in France for 183 days before becoming tax resident, my own experience was that my first tax return covered my first 10 days in France, as I have already said  “The level of understanding of the French taxation staff seems to vary a lot! It seems to depend upon to whom you speak. ”I suspect you were just “lucky”!