What on earth have I here?

Alcazar

OK, I've recently had 3 letters from France.

The first is from Direction des Services Fiscaux de la Haute Vienne, and is titled "Mise a Jour des Informations Cadstrales, Lettre de relance", and has a form to fill in.

Anyone know what this is?

The second seems to be entitled "Avis d'Imposition Taxes Foncieres", and asks me for €168 It has TWO addresses, one in StMathieu, one on the receipt in LILLE

What is it, and where do I send it?

The third, which arrived this weekend, is titled "Avis d'Imposition, Service d'Assiete, Taxes Exigibles", and asks me for €1256, , €773 to be paid by 05/02/06, (yes, 06, not a typo, and another €483 by 05/08/07, again, not a typo.

What in heaven's name is this?? Have I run foul of something?

Help, someone, please

Thanks in advance for any help.

Alcazar

The first letter you mention sounds like one we received after making a Declaration de Travaux and doing some work on the house. They wanted to know if the work was finished and if so we should fill in the form (number H?) which is a description, with measurements, of the house. Reason: re-assessment for possible increase in Tax Fonciere.The second relates to tax due and if it's like we have here you can go into the local office and pay over the counter. Or send by post to Lille which perhaps is the main city in your Department. The third, sorry don't know unless you've somehow got into arrears and they've just caught up with you. How long have you had your house ?  Pat.

quite right

Number 1 you fill in when the work is completed and they assess your the value of your property for the taxes.

Number 2  is your bill, and it tells you how to pay it on the back. You can either pay by direct debit , in one go or for next year month by month, or you send a cheque to the local Tresor Public. elsewhere on this site you will find all about the fun and games you can enjoy if you try to set up payment using the Internet.

Number 3 Is your bill for the taxes which come due when you are granted planning permission. They take the floor area, multiply by a notional value and then a percentage decided locally is applied . It is supposed to cover the infrastructure costs, roads, drains, parks, parking spaces necessitated by  development. IE Its just another tax. It is payable in two chunks 18 & 36 months after permission is granted.

Number 3 Is your bill for the taxes which come due when you are granted planning permission. They take the floor area, multiply by a notional value and then a percentage decided locally is applied . It is supposed to cover the infrastructure costs, roads, drains, parks, parking spaces necessitated by  development. IE Its just another tax. It is payable in two chunks 18 & 36 months after permission is granted.

Ours is a barn conversion which is attached to an existing house, on our own land. Our fosse is self-contained, and we have our own parking etc.

How have they arrived at that amount, then?
Thanks,
Alcazar

As I said its just another tax, in this case a tax on new development. The percentage varies from commune to commune. We paid €1000 to create 160 metres of habitable space, I guess you are probably creating something of a similar size.

This may be a bit out of date but gives the general idea of how to calculate the taxable value. I suppose there is a chance that your barn automatically falls into the secondaire category.

SHON

Ile-de-France

Autres régions

1 à 80 m2

81 à 170 m2

170 m2 et +

résidence secondaire

prêt à taux zéro

Par exemple, si vous faites construire une résidence principale de 120 m2 en province et sans prêt à taux zéro, l'assiette de la TLE sera de 80x279 + 40x407 soit 38600 Euros.
Sur cette assiette, les communes peuvent appliquer un taux compris entre 1 et 5%. Dans l'exemple ci-dessus, la taxe maximale à payer serait de 38600 x 5% soit 1930 Euros. Pour connaître le taux de votre commune, aller sur
taxe.com

The fact that you personally don’t benefit directly from the infrastructure works is unfortunately irrelevant. You will just have to feel a warm glow when you park outside the Mairie thinking that you have in your own little way contributed to that lovely new lampadaire or the cobbled parking bay.

[quote]As I said its just another tax, in this case a tax on new development. The percentage varies from commune to commune. We paid €1000 to create 160 metres of habitable space, I guess you are probably cr...[/quote]

<<<The fact that you personally don’t benefit directly from the infrastructure works is unfortunately irrelevant. You will just have to feel a warm glow when you park outside the Mairie thinking that you have in your own little way contributed to that lovely new lampadaire or the cobbled parking bay.>>>

LOL: Thanks for the response, it all makes sense now..........well, some at least:

We keep discovering new costs, first the architect we "needed", now this............nearly €3000 so far. Does it ever end?

Alcazar