info required about free online banking

Clair

Hello forum people!

I used to do all my banking online, with Intelligent Finance. I am now with the Crédit Agricole, and it's not a very successful experience. So I am looking for an alternative, preferably an online bank. Looking through Google, I came across AXA, Credit Lyonnais and BNP.

Does anyone have any experience with any of these or any other?

The Crédit Agricole charges 0.50€ for each online consultation to a maximum of 3€ per month and they have just charged me 11€ for setting up a direct debit (virement) facility towards Budget Telecom... They have also "lost" my chequebook twice and left me 3 weeks without!

I am ready for a change!

Many thanks in advance

Clair

Hello

Sorry can't help on other banks but our CA doesn't charge for online viewing or transfers to/from our savings account. Perhaps you have the business version (we cannot pay anyone online only do transfers, set up virements etc)?  Our CA told us that no-one except very big businesses would understand if we did online payments as we were used to doing in the UK !!  We are with CA Normand.

We certainly find it annoying that we cannot just pay bills online but, as I say, we were told that this is just not done in France.

Will watch this topic with interest.

Hereford

As French banks tend to be more local than we are used to in the UK, especially Cred Ag, who still operate as semiautonomous regional banks, I suggest you approach the problem from the other end.

Check to see which banks are available in your local towns and then see which of them offer decent online banking.

We have been with Soc Generale and have found them OK for the past 15 years. One of the things they brag about in their adverts is "why pay to consult your accounts on line?"

So if they have a branch near you, they could be somewhere to start, though I know like most banking recommendations, others will say not with a barge pole!

hello again

No I do not have a business account. The Crédit Agricole is not a "national" bank, in the sense where its various branches do not belong to a national network. It's more a regional network and each region/group sets its own ules of charges.

My Credit Agricole was "Quercy-Rouergue" up to a few months ago, when it joined with "Midi Pyrénées" to form CA Nord Midi Pyrénées, and they promptly stared charging to send a chqbook to my home address, a service which had been free up to the merger...

I am just a normal person, with simple banking needs, wanting to do simple things without having to trave to a branch... as I used to for many years!

Banking in France is like stepping back in time!!

I welcome any suggestion!

Clair