savings accounts in France

Yvonne

We've recently arrived in France for good with an amount of money that we wish to save. We took the moeny from ING (UK) where we were getting approx 5% interest whoch was very nice. The best that the bank can offer is 2% gross!

Does anyone know of any 'more interesting ' options in France? Do internet savings banks like ING exist?

Thanks!

ABIM

ING France at www.ingdirect.fr pay 3.05% with a 50€ bonus for opening the account and 7% interest to 31.12.04 on your initial deposit. Interest subject to 11% social charges and income tax.

Livret A at La Poste pays 2.25% tax and social charge free to a maximum of 15300€ per person.

Codevi at your Bank pays 2.25% Tax and social charge free to a maximum of 4600€ per account.

NB check La Poste and Bank rates as these may have changed.

[quote]We've recently arrived in France for good with an amount of money that we wish to save. We took the moeny from ING (UK) where we were getting approx 5% interest whoch was very nice. The best that the ...[/quote]

Interest rates in the Euro zone are very low, hence low savings rates. You could always stick with ING, who operate from Holland (IIRC) and offer Euro savings accounts. Otherwise, stick with the UK companies.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote]Interest rates in the Euro zone are very low, hence low savings rates. You could always stick with ING, who operate from Holland (IIRC) and offer Euro savings accounts. Otherwise, stick with the UK co...[/quote]

Do you know if you can open an ING account from overseas i.e. Australia in England without having a permanent address there.  Would the same apply to Holland.  We are at present getting 5.25%.

Thanks Libby

[quote]Do you know if you can open an ING account from overseas i.e. Australia in England without having a permanent address there. Would the same apply to Holland. We are at present getting 5.25%. Tha...[/quote]

I believe you have to be resident in the country in which you wish to open the account. Have a look at their website.

Not so, we have accounts with both ing.uk and ing.fr.

I think the quirk is that to open a UK account you have to be resident in the UK, but to open a French account you have  a French bank account

Qui peut ouvrir un compte ?
Tout particulier capable majeur, résidant ou non en France et titulaire d'un compte chèques auprès d'une banque située en France.