Eurocard

Gigi

We visit our house 6 times per year and always draw euros from our UK current account to deposit in our CA account - usually using the Conde-sur-Noireau branch - for bill paying. The last time we were there - October half-term - the branch had been completely re-designed (in common, according to the staff, with all other branches of CA and banks in general) and had no "caisses". Deposits are now made using a machine and a "card", which I don't have.

An employee of the bank allowed me to make the deposit (on this occasion only) and then took my details.

I have since received a PIN number and forms to complete. When I have carried this out, I will receive the card, which I now discover is a Eurcard Mastercard. There is an annual fee of 34 euros for the first applicant and 17 euros for the second applicant for 2004.

We didn't particularly want a debit card - although can see that it would be occasionally useful for out-of-hours petrol. Is there really no way that we can deposit cash the way we used to? Gigi (dept 14)

Rubbish!  All banks most certainly haven't stopped taking cash.  I agree things have progressed with cheque deposits but cash is still king.  You will have to find a branch that takes cash.  If it is too far, they you will just have to grin and bear it and use your card.

Robbing sods.  Someone in Normandy will certainly be able to put you more in the picture.

We're in Normandy, and have a CA account - though different département and thus different CA. I often pay in cash, and even more often cheques, over the desk with a paying-in book. Nobody has ever said anything about having to use our card to pay in.

We are in Normandy too, use St Hilaire CA branch.  My Dad wanted to pay in over the counter last week - bank said not over counter and he had to go into a back room for security.  If you want more than a small amount of cash from machine (i.e. over daily limit) you go into same backroom! As we did last year too to collect Canadian currency.

It is obviously a security measure. However our small branch at Juvigny le Tertre has not been changed yet - same old over the counter there.

H.

We've had several strange experiences with that particular CA branch. The Anglo-French Association for which Mrs Conq is treasurer holds its account there. She often needs to pay in money, cheques have to be paid over the desk and cash - however small the amount - at that stupid counter tucked away at the back, for which there is invariably a long queue of people taking out foreign currency, discussing their unauthorised overdrafts etc. It takes ages to complete a simple transaction. The same branch also refused to allow her to open a savings account, despite living, working and paying taxes in France. "Only available to French nationals". Bo***cks.

Remember that when we talk about CA it is not like Nat West or HCBC, ie one bank  with many branches  each of the regional banks is  different and has different rates and charges, I was reading an article the other day about bank charges in France and different CA's featured in the "moins chere" and "plus chere" in the same categories.  But back on topic, they have changed their layouts and are trying to have cashless desks , to get cash out now it is done from the hole in the wall by the teller with a card encrypted at his/her desk, they do accept cash to be paid into your account but no longer provide bureau de change facilities, although you can pay £'s into your account, ( but the rate is awful and well below even the tourist rate).

As for savings accounts, I have one with CA Nord Pyrenees, it isn't a very good rate (3.25%) and has a limit of €7700, interest is not compounded either, it is kept separately and added at the end of each year.  If you have any general queries about CA products you can try CA Britline who are often able to help with general queries.