Opening a bank account

SORRY if i'm repeating a earlier post, but we were wandering what you have too take with you to open a account? I will be opening a business account and my mum a personal account. Its just that we have to cycle 7 miles to the nearest bank and 7 miles back and we dont want to get there and find out that we are missing things. Also do they just give you forms to fill in? if so can you bring them home and fill them in?

Hope someone can help!!

Bex

I realise from other peole's experiences that we got off lightly, but all we needed were our passports and driving licences. Speaking french is a great help - however rusty, and Credit Agricole took our word for it that we'd just signed the Compromis de vente although we offered the immoblier's phone number if they wanted to check! If you're planning to cycle to the bank that must mean that you're already resident in France, so it seems that the EDF bill is always a winner

[quote]SORRY if i'm repeating a earlier post, but we were wandering what you have too take with you to open a account? I will be opening a business account and my mum a personal account. Its just that we hav...[/quote]

I suppose they are all different, depending on whom you actually see and in what dept, but this is our experience.

1.Make an appointment first.

2.Take with you Passport, Birth and Marriage certificates, and a recent bill with your address on.

For a Business account, the above plus,

3. Copy of degree, Qualification Certificate.4. SIRET no: from Chamber de Metiers, or Commerce, confirming you are a qualified Artisan in France. (Thus, legally able to work in France) 5. Avis D'emposition 2003 (revenue). 6. Attestation of any property you may own here, or a copy of contract you will have signed to rent property.

"Also do they just give you forms to fill in? if so can you bring them home and fill them in?"

When we opened out account at La Poste the lady took us into a back room and filled out the form for us. We did not ask her to and I could have well done it myself. Other experiences eg with gendarmes leads me to think that it is quite usual for the official to fill in the form. I don't know if this is general but I suspect they do not expect the average local to be able to deal with forms.

Liz (29)

[quote]SORRY if i'm repeating a earlier post, but we were wandering what you have too take with you to open a account? I will be opening a business account and my mum a personal account. Its just that we hav...[/quote]

JUst thought i'd post a couple of nightmares, we had with our bank in the past- due to OUR lack of spoken french and understanding, I must add!!

1. Paid a cheque into our account, and I forgot to cross my "7"s, So large sum of money went missing for 14days!!! You'd think it went into an account with a "1" instead, but nope!!

2.Another cheque we paid in recently, bounced, we were writing cheques against it as we did'nt know, and ended up paying a first charge of 80 euros, and then for every cheque written after more money! Ended up paying 270euros!!!!!!!!! Aaah!! Got half of it back though! Also, the bank did'nt inform us we had to buy a 5 euro stamp from the local Tabac, which you then take back to your bank, and the Bank of France then lift the "stop" off your account!!!

3.IF you want to close you bank account, it's not that easy!! You have to make an appointment to see a manager, and then they charge you 50euros to close it! Needless to say we are staying with the devil we know, as we do realise lack of communication is the REAL problem!

Oh Joy!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Hi

I wrote a piece on my website about opening a bank account:

IF you are staying in France for any length of time you will want to open a bank account.

It is not a difficult task and the French banking system is quick and efficient, requiring very little on your part.

A simple current account, compte de cheques or compte courant, can be opened with proof of identity, such as a passport, address details, a phone number if you have one and €20 to deposit straight away.

I took along a recent print out of my UK account, my UK cheque book, birth certificate and even four passport photographs – I did not need them.

You will receive your cheque book, which are used all the time in France, as well as a debit card with a PIN number about a week later.

The French system requires you to provide a form of photo ID when writing a cheque and you will be asked to enter your PIN number if you use your card.

And remember never go overdrawn, you will be blacklisted if you do not put funds into your account within 30 days.

Internet banking is also available on many accounts, but there is usually a monthly charge for this.

All the best

Craig

http://www.thisfrenchlife.com/